Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drawing Walls on a Different Layer

Got a project where I will add an addition to an existing structure. I have set up a new layer called "Walls, Existing, Exterior". I made a copy of a brick exterior wall type and renamed it "Existing Exterior 4" With Brick Veneer". I changed the main layer of this new wall type to "Air Gap" so it wont frame when I build wall framing as I only want to show new framing in layout.

But for the life of me I can't figure out how to asign this new wall type to my new layer "Walls, Existing, Exterior". Am I overthinking this? Am I still thinking in AutoCad mode? I have to believe that this is something that is so simple that I am just completely looking beyond the obvious. It's really embarassing, but I think I'm having a total brain far* on this one. Any advice on this overly simple problem would be most appreciated.
    Michael Crump
    Creative Concepts
    7531 Hawkstand Lane
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    803-417-2790

mcrump@spectrum-inc.com
    michaelacrump@att.net

Using - Chief X6 Beta
    Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it.
    Bluegrass - Fastest Music Alive

Michael:

Place the new wall types on the plan as needed and then select, maybe even a group select and assign them to the desired layer by opening the wall dbx and then the layer tab

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Figured that was the answer Lew. Am still in my AutoCad mindset.
    Michael Crump
    Creative Concepts
    7531 Hawkstand Lane
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    803-417-2790

mcrump@spectrum-inc.com
    michaelacrump@att.net

Using - Chief X6 Beta
    Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it.

Michael,
    You don't even need to create the new wall type. Before you build wall framing, just group select all the existing walls, & "retain" the non-existent framing; & then put them all on your "Walls, Existing, Exterior" layer.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

The reason for the new wall type is in plan view I want the existing walls to show with a very light lineweight and no hatching. This will allow for easy recognition of new walls.
    Michael Crump
    Creative Concepts
    7531 Hawkstand Lane
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    803-417-2790

mcrump@spectrum-inc.com
    michaelacrump@att.net

Using - Chief X6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by mcrump
    The reason for the new wall type is in plan view I want the existing walls to show with a very light lineweight and no hatching. This will allow for easy recognition of new walls.
    I would like to know how this works for you. I am going to be starting on a similar project right away, and have been thinking about doing something like this.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Draw existing walls first. Make a CAD detail from view. Group select all walls and change color of all to light gray. Move new cad detail to rear. Lock layer of new cad detail. Now move new walls as you like.
    Merritt Newman III AIBD
    Cashiers, NC
    Chief 97-X4
    Double CAD

I have done this both ways and I prefer using the cad block method. That way you don't worry about framing issues or wall is the same place etc.

I use cad for removals, and a new walltype on dedicated layer, as Michael describes, for Existing to Remain

As Jim points out, you don't absolutely have to make a new wall type. However, I like to for the same reason as Michael - so I can show a graphic difference. I use a grey fill in all my walls. New walls the grey fill is fairly dark, Exist to Remain it's fairly light.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Don't forget you have a wall hatch tool along with the actual wall definition. You can hatch any wall regardless of the actual wall definition if you need to distinguish it independently. The hatch resizes like windows and doors so you can hatch part of a wall.

Removals....do the as built. Take it to a cad detail, make it a block and bring it back to the proposed drawing as a block. (I usually take some time to remove areas which are NOT going to be altered so only affected areas are left.) Position it and change it's line style to dashed (or whatever you want to use). Create a layer to put it on so you can control it's display.
    Al Frey
    Old Timer

I would guess there's a few different ways to handle this. You think?!
    I probably change how I do it from one job to the next.
    Currently, I like to use the "adjustable thickness walls" for existing unchanged walls to remain on the remodel plan. I hatch those 2-line walls w/ the "hatch wall" tool.
    I use the as-built plan to show demo.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by ibuild
    Don't forget you have a wall hatch tool along with the actual wall definition. You can hatch any wall regardless of the actual wall definition if you need to distinguish it independently. The hatch resizes like windows and doors so you can hatch part of a wall.
    Oh yeah! That too.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I personally don't and never will have an existing and a proposed plan in the same plan file. Eventually, you will probably have problems depending on the remodel. See quote from a previous thread on how I would show and existing on a proposed plan. I also think it's better than using "view to CAD".

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Davis
    I have been watching Dan Bauman's great tuts for V10 (now free to non members at ChiefExperts) in which he is showing his way of handling as-built plans.

And he is using point to point move, successfully, in V10. Or maybe not so successfully, from what I am reading here.

When totally finished with the as-built plans, he goes to layer management, turns off everything he does not want to turn into dotted lines, turns off wall layers, and then goes VIEW TO CAD with what he's got. With a CAD detail of the whole plan now in view, he changes the line type to dashed, and brings it into the plan, then uses point to point to align it precisely so that all the CAD lines are directly under plan lines, and . . . voila!

With misregistration, it would not work.

So, what's up with what Dan is doing?

(My reply)
    Gene, if you do all you mention and get the plan to look like you want for an existing overlay in a layerset, instead of sending it to a cad detail, you can export a dwg of it and then import it into your proposed plan. It will be exactly where it's suppost to be....no point to point move needed. I just went over this in our User's Meeting."

This is a personal opinion of course.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair

With misregistration, it would not work.

Tommy etc are steering you correctly. I've use this technique for 7 years. It has never once failed to drop into the correct location. I'ved edited and saved the dwg in other programs first, then brought it in.

Chief knows where X, Y & Z of zero is at all times, and so does every other cad program I've ever set hands on. Chief may do really dopey things with layers and lineweights during imports. But I've never once seen it blow the registration.

Do some experiments and prove it to yourselves. When you really understand this principle various cut or copy and paste/hold operations are phenomenally useful, in many many many more situations than this one.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

All good points. My question then is if you convert the as-built floor plan to a CAD detail, how do you show the home in 3D with the new additions added.

Tommy, could you elaborate on why you choose to have more than one plan file? I thought the idea was that by having only one file, any changes would only have to be made once (or only in one plan file).
    Michael Crump
    Creative Concepts
    7531 Hawkstand Lane
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    803-417-2790

mcrump@spectrum-inc.com
    michaelacrump@att.net

Using - Chief X6 Beta