Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well, now I am sorry Jim. I didn't mean to drag you in on the negative side of this discussion. It just seemed you were more in favor of the existing situation. Manually dragging wall hgts many times causes odd behavior and results but is sometimes the only solution. Especially without having the ability to control each wall' s top and bottom without having to use a room hgt definition.

How do you tell a room that you want different wall tops and bottoms? It only accepts one room hgt. Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    When that wall top was dragged, that's when you, the "designer", took control of that wall from Chief. "Right or wrong", that wall is yours to deal w/ forevermore

Precisely, which is why I avoid dragging walls and am surprised to see it as a "recommended" procedure, especially for a "standard" situation like a partial wall

Lew
    Lew, once you've manually dragged a wall top or bottom, can't you just resest the default top and bottom in the dbx? Doesn't that "give" the wall back to Chief and allow you to start over? Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Brad:

Maybe so, I don't drag walls so ....

If a wall needs "fussin" I let my partner handle it

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Jim
    When I did it in my test, the ''floor" ceiling height default was set at 15'.
    That might make a difference over just the room default.

I have never had to do this condition before, so am open to what works better..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

If a wall needs "fussin" I let my partner handle it
    I sure with I had a partner.....
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I sure with I had a partner.....

But I do have to pay him

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

When that wall top was dragged, that's when you, the "designer", took control of that wall from Chief. "Right or wrong", that wall is yours to deal w/ forevermore

Jim - If I "the designer" had control of the floor & ceiling heights (lockable) as needed I wouldnt have to wrestle with Chiefs idea of what to change and I would gladly live with my changes "forever".

Jack
    Jack Laughner
    European Influence LLC
    X1, X2

Your right Lew, and everyone else that thinks dragging a wall down Su#$%!S.
    Thats why we need to be able to adjust wall heights ...if you need room definition, you don't use it, Not everybody works the same, those that would benifit from being able to control a wall height, great...those who wouldn't...don't use it...I can think of probably 50 things I don't use or think aren't needed in my line of drawings, you don't here me knocking them down cause I know they are there for someone. I'd be willing to bet if a survey was taken we could find some tool that no one uses, but it's there. Just like when I used AC a couple yrs ago, they say only 2% of the program is used by any one person, but it satisfies pretty much everyone. Thats why they call it open architecture.
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Design & Build, New Jersey
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X6 Build 16.1.1.9 X64 w/SSA
    X5 Build 15.2.1.3 X64 w/SSA
    X4 Build 14.3.2.2 X64 w/SSA
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium
    A Pool Cue , a Harley, a Hammer & a Camera
    Good Isn't Enough... When Better is Possible.

How about this:

Create a wall type with all the layers you want, but create a unique framing layer that has a drywall texture.

Create another wall type with only one layer that is as thick as the previous wall we created. Use air gap as the material and set transparency to 100%

Draw as a pony wall, with the transparent wall on top. You will need to designate as wall butts other walls to remove the stripe up the connecting wall. Preset the pony wall heights before you do this.

If you are creating closed rooms with this (I'm not sure why you would) you will get a stripe along the ceiling. This can be removed by designating 'roof cuts wall at bottom' in the roof tab of the wall dbx. But this will remove base moulding from the wall, so some manual base moulding will need to be added.

You can frame this wall with the other walls, it works fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halfwall.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	32393  
    Last edited by sherpa_jones; 05-21-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.