Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plan Outline

Tommy,

The term "house model" is throwing me off.

When I looked at electrical layerset, as you said in your example, I see walls represented by two cad lines. Also, when I click on cad footprint, I initially get a view that looks like that, too. Is it safe to assume that when you and David talk about a model, that is what you mean? Because I was talking about the "footprint polyline", which is an option you can check in the plan footprint and get a different view.

I prefer to keep everything in layersets, as you suggest. However, on the site plan I want to show only the "outline" of the house. I can't find a simple way to do both. So if I want to show the outline only, I have to go the cad detail route for the site plan.

Am I missing some way to create the plan footprint outline and put it on it's own layer? That way I could have the best of both worlds.
    Len Dalton
    v X4
    CA Certified Professional

Single line 'footprint'

Make a molding polyline of the exterior room (search as there are recent threads explaining this). Place this on a .footprint layer all by itself. Turn only this and all your other siteplan layers on. You may have to assign a thickness or hatch/fill, or something else to this polyline to see it better.
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

Sorry, I was out to dinner tonight.

By "house model" I mean the Child Window - Plan View of the first floor with layers on and off as follows:

I usually draw the property lines, set backs, dimensions and other site plan relevant data in the main Child Window (plan view-first floor); sometimes the terrain plane is the property line outline but more often just 2-D CAD on the "Site Plan" layer that is on in the "Site Plan Set" of layers of the first floor and just have a rectangular Terrain Plane.
    I even did one where I converted the 2-D CAD to a molding poly-line so it would show in an overview (just for fun).

Back in earlier versions I tried the "Plan Footprint" tool and I did not like it (it works fine, I just did not prefer it to the above).

In the site plan set things like cabinets, electric, labels and other junk that doesn't print well at site plan scales is turned off. Dimensions that I do what to show are set to the "Site Plan" layer so as to separate them from dimensions and text displayed at 1/8" , 1/4" or larger scales.

That is what I meant. I am relatively sure those are not the only methods possible nor even the "best"; it is just what I choose to do.

DJP

PS: If I don't want the interior walls to show I make a "Room Poly-Line" of the house footprint (click on the outside of the house) and give it a white fill (I guess I will do anything not to use the "House Footprint Poly-line tool" (works for me)
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 05-02-2009 at 08:53 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Karl,

Seemed like a pretty good tip. After checking that idea out, I find that the room molding polyline of the exterior room does not create from the main layer of the exterior wall, so the dimensions are off by a couple of inches.

I know that doesn't sound like much to worry about on most site plans, except when you are building 1500 SF homes on 2600 SF lots with 3ft side yard set backs, inches are critical on a site plan. And they are checked closely by the plans examiner.

Is there a way to create that exterior room polyline so that it goes to the main layer, and not the exterior wall surface? I realize I could go to the trouble of modifying the polyline to match the house, then your idea would work for me. It's too bad the plan footprint command can't do the same thing.
    Len Dalton
    v X4

Smile Footprint Polyline Options

Quote Originally Posted by builderlfd
    Is there a way to create that exterior room polyline so that it goes to the main layer, and not the exterior wall surface? I realize I could go to the trouble of modifying the polyline to match the house, then your idea would work for me. It's too bad the plan footprint command can't do the same thing.
    Try this... 'turn off the siding layer' ...I did this by altering the wall type to concrete and its main layer lines up with the face of framing of the original exterior wall type. Exterior Room polyline then created right up against the wall.

You might temporarily delete the siding and air gap layers for your exterior walls. Just turning on 'WALLS Main Layer Only' did NOT work. It remembered the siding layer.

See how this works in the attachment. See how the outside room adjusts for each option in the corner?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	footptint molding polyline 1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	31943  
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

Quote Originally Posted by builderlfd
    Karl,

Create your room polyline, leave it selected. Change your edit to Concentric and modify the 'jump' distance to be the size of your siding and sheathing. Zoom in close to a corner and move the corner selection handle in one 'jump'. Your polyline should now be on your main layer.

You'll need to adjust for decks as the polyline will jump in the set dimension all around. Change back to default edit mode.
    Maureen
    X6.current

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen Giattino
    Create your room polyline, leave it selected. Change your edit to Concentric and modify the 'jump' distance to be the size of your siding and sheathing. Zoom in close to a corner and move the corner selection handle in one 'jump'. Your polyline should now be on your main layer.

You'll need to adjust for decks as the polyline will jump in the set dimension all around. Change back to default edit mode.
    Depending on the wall configuration sometimes that doesn't move right but most of the time it will. Her last line is critical to do.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Or... Hold down the c key,drag a corner of the p-line in. (Make sure Endpoint snaps are on).
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Thanks guys. I got enough ideas on how to do it now.
    Len Dalton
    v X4

If you have accsess to the SSA videos, #188 Creating site plan. is pretty good.
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Design & Build, New Jersey
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X6 Build 16.1.1.9 X64 w/SSA
    X5 Build 15.2.1.3 X64 w/SSA
    X4 Build 14.3.2.2 X64 w/SSA
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium
    A Pool Cue , a Harley, a Hammer & a Camera
    Good Isn't Enough... When Better is Possible.