Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have the book and I've spent hours going thru it over the double railings on my porches when I put a pier under it. That is why I thought it would be better for me to come in a forum and ask. Sometimes people have experienced that same problem and know exactly what you need to do. That's why I came in here, with hopes of someone having the same problem.

I do appreciate all of you trying to steer me in the right direction.

Have a good day

Gayle
    Version Chief X1

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Gayle:

I think what Wendy is getting at is that it appears that you haven't, in the minimum, learned many of the basics of using CA, of which setting floor defaults is one of the first things you should learn and do when setting up a project.

From your images, it appears that your porch was actually be built with joists based on your 1st and 2nd images (the floor diaphram looks thicker than 4"). It is not obvious to me exactly what type of walls you used to define your porch initially.

If you want CA to frame the floor for you, then you should probably call the room a deck with a ceiling above (structure tab). Then when you open up the structure tab, you will have a place to define your deck (porch) planking thickness as well as the joist thickness.

For decks, CA's floor structure defaults are 1-1/2" and 7-1/2" for decks. I don't recall why CA uses 7-1/2" vs. 7-1/4" for the joists so if you want 2 x 8's for joists, you'll need to make that change. I don't think you want to use I-Joists in any location exposed to the weather - that is the wrong place to use them.

CA is an extremely powerful program with tons of bells and whistles to learn how to use. You have to exercise some self motivation in learning the very basics of the program if you are going to become a proficient user and it doesn't appear you have made that effort yet. I do commend you for learning how to post images on the forum and that is a very good thing to know how to do when it comes to discussing problems and displaying images of those problems.

Don't feel like you are getting picked on ... someone will always try to help out ... but, you might get a bit of advice from some users that may not necessarily answer your question but in the long haul will help you get better at using the program because a lack of responses to your questions on the forum forces you to do some digging for the answers on your own. There is another CA forum on Yahoo you can participate in if you desire.
    Last edited by Curtis Johnson; 04-30-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Oh Gayle - of course the porch post thing is the one thing that's really not in the book! I think you stepped on a bug with that one, which is why I suggested you send it in.

Now that we know have the book, we'll be able to direct you to the appropriate sections to augment advice here.

For your porch right now - did you get it yet?

I can't write a chapter, but here's a quickie:

1 - Default Settings - Framing - Foundation tab - Sublfoor for First floor

2 - then - Select Porch "room", open dbx - Structure Tab - make joist thickness etc match the house.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Gayle, if you were here in Houston or if I had my own GoToMeeting, I would be willing to help you for free for a few of hours and show you some of the basics to set you in the right direction when starting. As you have found out, this program can be a bit involved but knowing the basics of how the program works and thinks is a must. All of this will come to you in time. Maybe I could help you though by phone in the evenings or on weekends a little if you want.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Tommy,

You can use my gotomeeting.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    Tommy,

You can use my gotomeeting.
    Well thank you Louis. Do you see this Gayle?? I will be happy to help you in the evenings (except this Monday) or on weekends. Louis is exceptionally generous to let me do this for you. You may call me at the phone number listed below or email as shown below. One on One help is as good as it gets.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Thank You!!!!!

Yes, I would appreciate a go to meeting. Just let me know how to hook up with you in a go to meeting
    Version Chief X1

I had a 3 to 4 hr. online meeting with her yesterday afternoon and her plan is now good to go and is now workable. However, I can't hardly imagine her absorbing all the information I gave her in that one meeting.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Just one tiny bit of advice here. What I did when I first got the programme, was to sit and go through the tutorial that comes with it step by step. I think it's an excellent tutorial and will more than get you up and running with the major parts of CA. I get most of the nitty gritty right here in the forum with its search tool, and then I post when all else fails.
    Nyall Jodhan
    Chief Architect X5

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Email: nyallj@yahoo.com

http://nyallj.blogspot.com