Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

porch floors higher then house

Hi: I can't seem to find out what settings to change to stop my porches from being higher then my house floor. See pictures below.

ALSO: My porch post split into 2 seperate post when I add a pier under the porch for the foundation. Here's a picture of the way it looks

Any help would be appreciated.

Gayle
    Version Chief X1

Gayle,

I would send that split post to tech support faster than you can say "internet". In the meantime, it's probably in some bizarre way added a doorway to your railing. Delete that doorway and your railing will heal itself, deleting the extra column.

This doesn't look like your porch floor is higher, only the bottom of the floor assembly. Your framing settings determine the thickness of the floor at the house. Go into the porch room dbx to set the platform thickness for the porch.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy: Thank you for your advise. I dont know what a dbx is. Can you please give me more detailed instruction on how to fix this? I clicked on the porch, but only see this:

Thank you!!!
    Version Chief X1

What Wendy is saying is that the floor structure under your porch is different than your house structure. Click on the structure tab and set it the same as the house. (or lower your porch floor)
    DBX stands for dialogue box which is what you are showing in your picture.
    Last edited by ChiefCanada.com; 04-30-2009 at 09:21 AM.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Most room definitions will call for a 12" floor systems by default. Porches have a 4" floor system by default.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Gayle
    What floor are you putting the porch on?
    Do you have a separate basement level(0)?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Tommy: Heres the default floor settings.

Allen: I have a joist selected as the floor. Heres a picture of the settings:

If I need to adjust any settings under certain tabs, please let me know. I still feel like a babe at chief arch.

Your help is always very much appreciated!
    Version Chief X1

Gayle

You're going to feel like a "babe" for a long time at this pace! I can see that you don't have grasp on the basics. You'll be here looking for help more than is reasonable. It's not unreasonable for those who help you - because when we do, we're choosing to - no gun to our head. It's unreasonable for you, for the amount of time you're going to spin your wheels and flail about.

Did you get the training videos with X1? If you did, you will save yourself miles of headaches by reviewing the basics so that you understand the principles. There are also some excellent trainers who've maintained proficiency in X1 and could teach you the basics very efficiently - Louis, Gary, David Potter, and many others.

If you did not buy the videos with X1, your cheapest route is actually to upgrade. If you upgraded to X2 w/SSA you'd have access to about 400 hours of well done videos, and they've been offering live "jump start" sessions free with upgrading. It's the Visa commercial - "cost up upgrade $400 - not banging your head against the wall, priceless"
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy: Thank you for your advise. I will be more selective on my questions in this forum. Do you know of any other forums that are for people like me who have these elementary questions? If so, I would appreciate that link.

I do not have the training video. The company I work for will not purchase it. That's why I'm in here, for help. I will try and figure this out myself or go to another forum for help if there is another one

Best Regards,

Gayle
    Version Chief X1

Gayle:

You mis-understood Wendy, we are here to offer help even to newbies

She was trying to point a way that would lower your frustration level

Wendy is one of the biggest helpers on this forum

please continue to post questions here

can you talk your boss into $395 to upgrade to X2 and get access to all of the training videos ???

has to be more cost effective than all time you will spend banging your head against the learning curve ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Gayle
    Pretty sure Wendy didn't mean to imply that this forum is for more advanced users.
    If your doing this for work and trying to learn, posting ,then waiting for the answer is going to slow you way down.
    Where actual training would speed up the learning time a lot.

If you can upgrade to X2,there are free tutorials and seminars.
    There are trainers on here to if your looking,David Potter for one.

You should post your plan, it would be easier than guessing..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Ibuttery: The company I work for isn't doing very well financially. I am doing all I can to keep us afloat here. These drawings I'm posting are for a client. She wants to see the house drawn the way she wants. I was enbarrassed to show her the exterior elevation with the porches looking like that and the railings looking weird. That is how important it is to me to get these answers. Even to the point of embarrassing myself with elementrary questions.

Thank you for this follow post to help me feel better.
    Version Chief X1

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    You'll be here looking for help more than is reasonable. It's not unreasonable for those who help you - because when we do, we're choosing to - no gun to our heads. It's unreasonable for you, for the amount of time you're going to spin your wheels and flail about.
    Gayle,

I'm quoting myself, because I think you misunderstood me. I'm not chastising you, I'm feeling your pain. I've trained enough staff to know that there are many many many wasted hours in your future that could be avoided with a little bit of training. Getting this perspective from here might even be useful for you in getting your employer to pay for some training. If you're being paid for your time, it will save them money in the end.

Do you at least have the books? It can be hard to find things in the book if you don't know what its even called. We can sometimes direct you to the right section if the "real" answer is more than we have time for in our Chieftalk Breaks.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Hey Lew, oh great finder of all things on the internet,

Do you have links to any of the free X1 tutorials still floating about Louis's or DMZ's or any other web sites?
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

The help section of Chief is very good.
    If you look at the top,HELP there is a "current mode"that brings you to what your working on in the help section..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4