Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X2 Manual

Hybrid View

It's been a tough road the past few months, although having work to sustain life, just not as I was used to ....But here in NJ, I do see a bit more coming in than what has been the norm for months. A good thing!!
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Design & Build, New Jersey
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X6 Build 16.1.1.9 X64 w/SSA
    X5 Build 15.2.1.3 X64 w/SSA
    X4 Build 14.3.2.2 X64 w/SSA
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium
    A Pool Cue , a Harley, a Hammer & a Camera
    Good Isn't Enough... When Better is Possible.

Dennis
    I think it is "Delusional" rather than Optimistic..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

I just wanted to comment on the problem with the manual.

We printed 25 copies in the first run and the printer got them wrong. This delayed our planned ship date for over a week until they reprinted them.

When the second batch arrived we reviewed them and noticed the discrepancy on the page numbers. We have never had this happen in the past and were totally floored that the software we use could have casued this problem.

We discussed the problem noting that those that had ordered the manuals, (about 25 of you) had already been delayed and were probably anxious to recieve your order. The manuals themselves are quite readable with the exception of the index and page references being off by a set amount. Our choices were to not send them, delaying the shipment by at least a couple of weeks or to ship them knowing that we would have to reship them again when we got the new manual.

The decision was made that it would be better to send them out as is with a note that we had discovered the problem and were going to replace them as soon as we could resolve the problem and reprint them.

We believed that it was better for you to have something in hand, even though we fully intend to send you a second copy at our cost, rather than save the expense of shipping and have you wait another 2-4 weeks to get the corrected manuals.

We currently are waiting for a reprint after correcting the problem. You should be able to get a corrected manual sent, at no cost you you as stated in the note we included in the manual.

It should also be noted that of the thousands of copies of Chief sold, less than 75 of you actually ordered the manual (probably less than 50 at this point). This was expected and is why we only ordered such small quanitites.

The good news is we don't have a semi-truckload of miss-printed manuals we have a total of 50 miss-printed manuals, the first batch we still have in house and are useing internally, and the second batch that the printer replaced at their expense that we shipped.

I hope this helps you understand the situation and the resulting decisions.

Thanks,
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Dan,

It is always better to explain a problem up front than to try and do it after the fact. CA made the decision FOR the end user instead of letting THEM make the decision whether they wanted to incorrect ones or wait for the correct ones. Yes, you will be honorable and replace them but it would have been better to inform the purchaser of the problem and let them decide if thay wanted it now or wanted to wait. Could have saved a few pesos on your end.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin
    Dan,

It is always better to explain a problem up front than to try and do it after the fact. CA made the decision FOR the end user instead of letting THEM make the decision whether they wanted to incorrect ones or wait for the correct ones. Yes, you will be honorable and replace them but it would have been better to inform the purchaser of the problem and let them decide if thay wanted it now or wanted to wait. Could have saved a few pesos on your end.
    We all feel really bad that the manual that was printed had this problem. If this had been discovered earlier we would have not had them printed and would have fixed the issue.

I'm not sure what else we could have done since the problem was discovered after we had shipped some of the manuals.

All subsequent manuals have had an insert added that explained the problem. Presumably these were orders we had taken before we dicovered the problem two weeks ago. We totally missed the problem when we reviewed the proofs so it's our fault.

If you have ordered the manual since the time we discovered the problem again, I appologize that you were not informed that the currently shipping manual has this problem.

Again, realize that we will replace these once the new corrected manuals arrive.

I will pass your concerns on.

If you are still not happy please contact our sales department and we will be happy to refund your money.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Jeepers everyone makes a mistake now and then, go easy on Doug guys!
    Over the last 15 years Art have been pretty good to deal with I must say!
    Regards Rick
    Building Design & Construction Ltd
    Auckland-New Zealand
    09 5357798

Chief X4-Vista Business

Core i7 920 2.67GHz o/c to 3.6GHz
    Asus P6T DDR3 1333MHz
    Patriot Viper 6gig DDR3-2000
    2 x GTX275 896mb PCI-e

Yah, your are right. us self employed guys/gals feel the pinch. We don't have that paycheck at the end of the week.

As far as spending goes, i was more referring to the 92% that have a pay check at the end of the week!
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Thank you Dennis for saying what I was about to, Dan, I understand hole heartadly. But as Dennis said...The decision should have been mine to make, and financially better for CA also, would have saved on 2x shipping costs. Thank you though for speaking up.

Doug
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Thanks Dan, a new manual when available would be greatly appreciated. I do appologize if I came across a bit rude, I'm sure you understand.
    Doug
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Doug,

did the paperwork sent with your numerically challenged manual state that you were to be receiving a free replacement manual when available? If so, cudos to Dan & Chief for at least putting something usable in your hands. If not, a quick phone call to Chief would have clarified, rectified and satisfied(?).

I would rather have received a temporarily flawed manual versus a note saying the order will be further delayed. You wouldn't give your kid an IOU for Xmas would you? (actually we did 2 yrs ago when Santa couldn't come thru with a Wii)

Dan, I bet if you made the manual "loose leaf" and permanently updateable (see my "suggestions" thread), many more users would opt to order the manual.

Regards, Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4