Vista-vX1 error when installing patch

Anybody know what this is all about?
    2 1/2hrs to 8am in Idaho.
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-23-2009 8-34-36 AM.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	31022  
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Jim-H is offline Registered User Promoted
    I had these same issues when installing patches. If I remember correctly, placing the patch in the same directory as the application and running it from there worked.
    CA X2.4.0.23
    Vista64:Q6600:8GB:GTX280

Thanks Jim.
    But that wasn't it.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

This error means the software installer did not register the software on this computer. Perhaps a removable drive is being used or you are running it from a network share or copied the install files from another computer. It's also possible the original install failed due to insufficient rights or an anti-virus software.

The short answer is you need to reinstall from the original disk on this computer.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Dan,
    Thanks for responding. I did install vX1 from the original installation disk 1st thing this morning. I downloaded the patch, moved it to the vX1 root directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Chief Architect Inc & got the same error message when installing.
    I had trouble w/ this last Friday. I installed vX1, got some registry error messages, & Vista totally deleted vX1. There was no sign of vX1 anywhere. Reinstalled this morning, getting this.
    I also get the "changing color scheme to basic" every time open vX1.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Changing the color scheme is a result of a Vista fix we put in X1. In X2 we created the overlay window to solve this problem permanently.

It sounds like you are having some issues with the registry. This could be any number of problems but you should uninstall X1, then do a clean boot on the system to make sure your anti-virus is disabled and reinstall by running the setup as administrator.
    Dan Park,
    Chief Architect

Thanks Dan. I finally got it. When I uninstalled vX1 thru the Control Panel, it took 90 minutes. I thought it was hanging, but I let it run it's course. Then when I went to shut down after install, it took almost 40 minutes to shut down, but I let that run too w/ out "pulling the plug"; rebooted, installed vX1, rebooted, installed the patch & all seems well.
    For now..............

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

The day will come I'm sure, when we can install programmes without having to reboot our computers. And we can do that with lots of programmes already. But it still is safer to reboot after installing a programme, to register all the files and registry changes.
    At least, I practice that.
    Nyall Jodhan
    Chief Architect X5

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Email: nyallj@yahoo.com

http://nyallj.blogspot.com

Rebooting is not normally needed with Chief installs.

If a file is locked during install or uninstall (perhaps the program is running, or an anti-virus scanner has the file open etc. ) windows creates a list of these files. During a reboot these files are then deleted, replaced etc.

The files that are to be handled are stored in a file called wininit.ini. The commands stored in this ini file are processed during a reboot before the operating system is loaded. This functionality was put in place because you cannot erase, change, or replace files that are in use at the time. Operating system files especially are always being used and there has to be a way to replace them. Most of the time installers will work without reboot but when they can't they fall back to this basic windows functionality.
    Dan Park,
    Chief Architect