Display a roof plan

This is a really basic question, I should know it, but I dont.
    How do I show a roof plan. Just a straight on above view of the roof. This would be all roof planes regardless of floor level.

thanks

PB
    current CA version X3

Peter,
    Use the orthographic full overview camera then go to 3D, overview direction tools, top view.
    Mike
    X3 13.2.0.49

In X1 you can move all of your roof planes to a specific floor, but if you have roof framing, it might cause problems. The option to do this is in the roof plane dbx.

For complex roofs across 2 floors, I prefer to show a separate roof plan per floor, and create a layer set that shows the roof planes dark and the walls lighter or dashed.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Thanks guys, that worked well. How about if all I wanted was a line drawing representation (no shingles) would I need to trace over in cad and put those on layers?
    current CA version X3

Peter:

If your model has a couple of levels and you want them all displayed from the top down (as Rod explained), just move the main level roof planes up one floor "for display purposes only" ... or ... move the 2nd level roof planes down to the main level "for display purposes only" (i.e., do this with the new X2 roof plane move tools when the roof planes you want to move are selected ... it doesn't move the actual position of the roof planes themselves, it only moves their display up or down).

Then, if you only want to see the roof planes displayed, turn off all the other layers except the roof planes. You could even create a new layer set for this if you wanted to. I typically do this and give the roof planes a nice heavy line weight as well ... Chief uses 25 as the default, I usually increase it to 35.

Whoops ... sorry but I see you are using X1 ... the move roof planes up or down is in the roof plane spec dbx, options tab.

Mikes suggestion works good too ... if you don't want to see the roofing pattern, just turn off the pattern display in the displays options (and you may want to toggle the colors off as well; and gutters too).
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I have a layer set called ROOF PLAN in which I turn off everything but the roof planes, and set the wall layers to be dashed and light colored for reference. I have attached a sample of one of my roof plans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A105.JPG 
Views:	746 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	30961  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Joey, nice job!

A question about the render you show, and another one about technique.

Why is part of the roof shaded, while a lot is not?

And as regards the walls shown in ref, what exactly do you do in layerset ops to have those just show as their outer lines, lightened and dashed?
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

The shaded areas represent those roof planes that will rest on the second floor walls, the non shaded areas are planes that rest on the first floor top plates. I do this to keep from showing two different pages of roof plans.

As for how..my ROOF PLAN set has everything turned off, except the roof planes, roof plan notes, and walls normal. Once you turn off all the wall layers you can get just the outer most wall layers to show. Set the line weight to 1 or 2 and line type as dashed.

I have attached the elevation page to help explain how my roof plan is displayed.

BTW...I marked these as samples to use on my web site. I haven't put them up yet, but have the pages ready for posting...

Name:	A201.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	30964  
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Joey, Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to make sure your wall definitions are set to 'By Layer' so you can control their display in the way you describe?
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Yes, I think so...but all of my wall types are set that way. I have better control over weights and colors by layer rather than by wall def.

This is good for remodels. I can set differentiate wall types by layer, not by wall.

Name:	wall layers.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	30966  
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Thanks guys, after I submitted the second thread I wished I could reach in and grab it back, I knew the answer, DUH! But in retrospect there was much to learn...thanks all, you too Joey, great stuff!
    current CA version X3

Joey I like the way you show the shaded and unshaded area's for your roofs I am trying to set up a layer set to show shading and one to not show shading is that possible or once you put your shading in the roof planes it is there for all layer sets
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Joey I like the way you show the shaded and unshaded area's for your roofs I am trying to set up a layer set to show shading and one to not show shading is that possible or once you put your shading in the roof planes it is there for all layer sets
    Depends....I shaded the actual roof planes, so they are always shaded. You can make a shaded polyline, place it on a layer called ROOF SHADING and you would have the control you are looking for.
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Joey thanks for the reply
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6