Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Keep It Flexible And Optional

Sarah, No Matter How You Do It Or Improve It, Keep It Flexible And Allow Us The Option To Do It All Manually. You Could Have Toggles To Turn Off Trim Etc So That You Wouldn't Get Any Interference When Dimensioning To Framing Items. Regards, Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Sarah, Allen's post# 30 is typical of what I would dimension to in a cross section. Like him, I rarely, if ever, dimension in elevations.

A default cross section with dimensions to Allen's (or should I say - Wendy's).. specifications would be a good start.
    Leslie Sapp
    State Certified General Contractor
    State Certified Roofing Contractor
    Trenton, Fl.
    Ver. X5 Build15.2.0.87x64
    http://www.lesliesapp.com
    homes@lesliesapp.com

Leslie
    Might be for Wendy's plans but I did that and got a "Good Job" from her..
    Right up on my fridge

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

How about moving Break Lines with dimension tool?

Sarah, part of the 3d experience when in cross section/ elevation views is creating horizontal and vertical break-lines which don't always behave consitantly when doing stepped walls etc. Dimensioning to anything horiz or vertical would be most beneficial, especially in detailing or modeling a cabinet.

Having the ability to accurately place a break-line in a wall while in plan view would also come in handy since the only way I can accurately do it is by dimensioning to a cad line then creating the wall break.

Having live model access to real wall plates etc would be nice while in cross section view also and adjusting hgts & types of materials real-time while in a wall section view and allowing adjustment and alignment with selected wall layers above or below would be awesome.

A Soft-plan style graphical Roof section at top plate view that dynamically changes as you adjust your HAP (height above plate), birdsmouth etc would be nice for accuracy too.

Any visual feedback diagram or graphic accompanying a dialogue-box would make a lot of functions more intuitive and user friendly. When you live with a program for long hours on a daily basis, intuition, ease of use and user friendliness always trumps unnecessary complexity and cryptic manipulation tools. Regards, Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C
    After generating an exterior elevation it would be most helpful to be able to show only the terrain lines that come in contact with the foundation (model?)
    I second that motion. In fact, I third that motion!

I would like to be able to use the interior dimension tool in a cross section view to dimension the floor to ceiling heights, just as I would in a plan view between walls.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Cabinets, all elevations, all components (filler, box to box)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Boltz
    Having the ability to accurately place a break-line in a wall while in plan view would also come in handy since the only way I can accurately do it is by dimensioning to a cad line then creating the wall break.
    Brad
    Try placing an invisible wall approximately where you wish the wall break. Dimension to it,,, set the center of the wall (I think) to the dimension you are looking for,,, then break the wall. You can now move the invisible wall and the break moves with it.

HTH, Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/

Forgot About That One, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C
    Brad
    Try placing an invisible wall approximately where you wish the wall break. Dimension to it,,, set the center of the wall (I think) to the dimension you are looking for,,, then break the wall. You can now move the invisible wall and the break moves with it.

HTH, Ray
    Thanks Ray, I forgot about that one. I now remember using it several versions ago to merger two different wall types in the same plane but leaving a short stub of invisible wall to keep it stable on rebuilds.

Never thought about the dimensioning aspect and that the break would follow the center of the perpendicular invisible wall, though. Regards, Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Boltz
    Thanks Ray, I forgot about that one. I now remember using it several versions ago to merger two different wall types in the same plane but leaving a short stub of invisible wall to keep it stable on rebuilds.

Never thought about the dimensioning aspect and that the break would follow the center of the perpendicular invisible wall, though. Regards, Brad
    And all we need now it the wall lock tool so we can move both those wall sections as one.

Wall lock tool supporter, Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/