Thread: Bay Windows

Bay Windows

Is there any way to change the exterior material of the bay window walls? The only way that I found to do this is by drawing walls manually and adding windows later. By the way, does anyone think it's a real pain to resize bay windows accurately? I couldn't find a X2 video showing this.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike Patalsky
    Patalsky Homes, Inc.
    Murrysville,PA
    X5 User

The method of resizing windows in a box-bay window object has not changed programming-wise since Version 4 (you left-click on the window you want to resize or edit then hit the "tab" key or "next" button and then open the dialog of a single window object within the bay object [if in a camera view you would have an extra "Next or Tab key" action added].
    You repeat that action for each window.
    I agree with you that if I want complete control of the wall type I do not use those objects and draw the walls manually and yes it is a "real pain".
    The last time I saw a video showing this was for Version 4 on a VHS video series done by Dan Bauman; that is where I learned that.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I wish that they would integrate the wall type function into the Bay/Box window specification in later versions. It is a slow process to make bays manually. But the confusion was resizing the bay window walls. I found it easy to resize windows but not the wall structure. The only way I found to resize the whole structure was to drag the drag handles. It does not let me choose the wall then the dimension line to input an exact measurement.
    Mike Patalsky
    Patalsky Homes, Inc.
    Murrysville,PA
    X5 User

Bay windows have always been a pain and a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by mpatalsky
    Is there any way to change the exterior material of the bay window walls? The only way that I found to do this is by drawing walls manually and adding windows later. By the way, does anyone think it's a real pain to resize bay windows accurately? I couldn't find a X2 video showing this.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike, you can not possibly be alone in this one. I've always wondered why a bay couldn't be simply resized to match anyone's storebought ready made units (Anderson etc) .Intuitively you would want it to resize like any other window type.

Not to mention the way it behaves and displays in 3d.

Seems like Chief's been ignoring this one since V4 and continues to do so. How can the program have evolved to the extents of X2 and not addressed this "bad left-over"? Regards and waiting for the "Boom"-Brad
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4