Thread: WMF conversion

WMF conversion

When we export to WMF file format the Chief 6.0 locks up. This is an important function for us, as we use this for presentation packages for our customers.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I left my dongle at the office so I can't check out the export function for you right now, I don't think, all through Beta Testing, if any of us checked out that feature. I used it in V5 and found it a little shakey. I have found that exports of .bmps and then conversion of them to .jpeg's (using Paint Shop Pro)to be more stable and of higher quality but I don't, probably do the same sort of stuff you are doing. What sort of presentations are you creating? What software?

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

I just tride an export of WMF and it worked fine with my 6.0 with 2nd patch installed.

Didn't know if you had installed patches yet or if that has anything to do with it. Just thought I would mention it.

Craig

I got my dongle and like you I could not export any .wmf files in version six, I tried three different plans. I also tried the export from Chief 99, final Beta Version and got an export(and an error message "using a non-true type font turned at an angle....or something like that", the .wmf thus produced would not open in Paint Shop Pro but did import into Power Point but the fonts were goofy looking. I am not sure that this has helped at all other than to confirm that you are not the only user that has trouble with .wfms. My version 6 "hung" on each export and I had to "control-Alt-Delete" each time to make another try, just like you so it seems. I am running V6/Aug1399 patch on a new PII-500/128/100mghzSDRAM/DV550w/16mb vid-ram.
    I am sure ART will quickly sort this out.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

Deaner,

The plan view I did get out of 99 Beta was only 74kb in .wmf format, even if it was really unusable due to wonky fonts. Are you saying the initial memory requirements for the conversion are 100mbs or larger? That would explain why the program "hangs", perhaps had I waited longer I would have got a product. (I waited over ten minutes once before I gave up in V6)

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

Yes David,

The plans I did get through in '97 were huge files. I believe this is due to a large number of lines as opposed to a number of defineable color spots/areas.

A line drawing must have each pixel defined individually for resizing later. Whereas areas are defined with much less data.

Re.- Faulty WMF conversion.
    Thanks everyone for the information.
    In the versions prior to Chief 6.0 we did not have any problems with the WMF export regardless of the file size or PC make. Our PCs are all brand name from 300 pentium up and with minimum 128 RAM. There are four of us that uses Chief.
    We find this functin very usefull and use it several times per day.

Simon:

When does 6.0 hang up. Before you select the objects or after the objects are selected or after you assign a name to the file.

I have tried to duplicate the problem but only get a similar message as David re fonts, but after that the file is saved and can open in PS.

Mac

Mine "hangs" when I order the conversion to .wfm. I expect, based on Deans' post that it is not really hanging but just in the throes of conversion if , as Dean says the files are that large and beyond the capacity of available RAM.

Simon,

I have a notion that ART will straighten up this short-comming in time, meanwhile I think you should revert to V5 or take Dean's advice to use higher resolution image formats that are not so "over-weight".

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter