Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Good point!!! I'm still in X1, and make my chimneys as polyline solids after the fireplace goes in on whatever floor. Has X2 become more chimney-friendly (as far as foundation through roof and framing, etc.)?
    John

John Jones Architect llc
    Westport, CT

(203) 227-9817 jjallc@optonline.net www.johnjonesaia.com
    X5 latest; Samsung series 7 Chronos touch, Quad Core, 8Gig Ram, AMD Radeon 8770m 1G, yada yada yada
    Blessed with 5 adorable children - Psalm 127!

Better snaps in cross sections

Not everything displayed in a cross section view can be snapped to. Here is a sneaky way to change that:

Send the entire view to a cad detail. You might want to do this before you autodetail the elevation, and with certain layers off, like fixtures, furnishings, ect.

Next, select all the lines in the cad detail and send them to a new locked layer, which I will call 'cross section snaps.' While in the dbx, set all line weights to 0, and select the blank line style.

Now, copy and paste-hold-position into your elevation. Now you can snap to every building line you see.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Rod,

That's a good one...
    Jonathan

Rod, I'm thinking you get the gold star today.

This is a very elegant workaround until CA makes sections more snap and dimension friendly.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Why???

Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave
    Rod, I'm thinking you get the gold star today.

This is a very elegant workaround until CA makes sections more snap and dimension friendly.
    Because of things like this I still can't say NO to acad. Why CA don't do this automatic? Why snap don't work in blocks?
    Why snap don't work in layout with inserted views? I still need acad to make layout plans faster.
    What I do is build entire model in CA and export views to acad.

I love CA, but have some things to do.
    Last edited by lgriao; 10-17-2009 at 06:12 AM.
    AMD X6 -16gb DDR3 - HD 2x 160GB SATA HD 1x 500GB SATA- AMD FirePro V8800 - Windows 7 64bits

Pony wall solutions 1 of 3

Here is how to show windows and the lower wall in a pony wall with better window display than chief offers. Change the wall and hatch styles of the upper wall (copy it first) to match that of the lower wall, using extra 'air gap' layers and invisible line styles to build it out as needed. Do not change the materials. In the pictures shown, I used red lines to show where you want the invisible lines to go, matching the original wall style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall6.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	34093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall 7.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	34094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall 8.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	34095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall 9.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	34096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	34097  

Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Pony wall solutions 2 of 3

Next, I need a furred wall 48" high built with 2x4 framing to insulate the concrete pony wall. I drew a 2x4 wall, designated as no room def, and dragged the top down in elevation to 48". I moved it to the perimiter and created the rest of the walls by using the same wall type handles. To clean up the elevations where an interior wall met perpendicular, I broke the bottom edge of the interior wall in elevation and adjusted it to fit around the furring wall.

Name:	pony wall 10.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	34098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall 11.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	34099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall 12.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	34100  
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

Pony wall solutions 3 of 3

Now, with both of these together, and a molding poline to cap the furring wall, here are the results.

As you can see, display is fairly clean in all views; plan, section, and 3d.

Name:	pony wall 3.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	34101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall 4.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	34102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall 2.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	34103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pony wall.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	34104  
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

Wall butts other wall

If you just want one end of a wall to butt another wall.
    Put a break near the end you want and flip the layers.Then check "Wall butts other wall"
    Short section will get the right plan look..

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	34643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	34644  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

How to frame vallye boards

Here is a nice trick for creating those pesky valley boards:

Draw a roof plane of the same pitch and direction as the roof plane the valley board will rest on.

Open the DBX and specify the following:

General Tab:
    Rafter depth = 0 (will default to 1/16)

Options Tab:
    Boxed eaves off
    Roof surface thickness - define the thicknes of your valley board here
    Sheathing/Soffits/Ceiling/Gutter - off

Framing Tab:
    Fasica and sub fascia - off

Line Style Tab:
    Layer - Roof Framing

Materials Tab:
    Roof Surface - set to your framing material

Next, align the roof plane edges to be parallel with the valley. DO NOT USE THE ROTATE HANDLE: THIS WILL ROTATE YOUR BASELINE AND YOUR VALLEY BOARD CANNOT BE COLINEAR. The best way do do this is to drag an edge over and snap the corners to the vallyey. Then use the parallel tool on the other edge.

Define the width of your board with auto dimensions between the parallel edges of your roof plane. Move the plane underneath the roof that intersects to create the vallye. I find that 2" offset from the valley is best.

Next, use the 'move to be colinear' tool to raise/lower the plane to match the plane it sits on. This will place the roof surface of your valley board flush on top of the rafters. Draw your jack rafters and you are set.

Name:	valley board.jpg 
Views:	8095 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	34709  
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj View Post
    If you just want one end of a wall to butt another wall.
    Put a break near the end you want and flip the layers.Then check "Wall butts other wall"
    Short section will get the right plan look..
    Good one! Thanks.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Rod,

I know I need this - when my head is less tired, I'm definately going to try it. And - Thanks. I know this kind of blow by blow takes a fair amount of time and thought.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Rod-

Great tip and thanks for explaining EXACTLY how to do it.
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

Keeping track of all the good tips and tricks

This is a tip about tips. I've learned lots of useful things from this thread and many others on Chieftalk. However, I often found myself confronted trying to do something in Chief and KNOWING that I saw a thread that would help me, but not being able to find it using Chief's (IMO lame) search tool.

So, when I see a tip that I think is worth future reference, I simply highlight the post and copy it into a
    Word.doc and save it, with an explanatory file name, to a folder of 'CA Tips' on my computer. this saves a lot of frustrating 'searching' in Chieftalk.
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

Manual lookout framing - 24" O.C. along slope

I am never happy with how chief frames the gable lookouts. The blocking members are 24" o.c. in plan view, which is wrong. They should be 24" o.c. along the sloping rafter or truss top chord. Well, here is how to do them manually, and get it pretty darn accurate.

1 - Frame your rafters/trusses and all your fascia boards.

2 - Draw a roof blocking member between your gable fascia and your first rafter/truss, crossing over your gable wall/truss.

3 - Create a backclipped cross section of your gable wall/truss and change to your 3D Framing layer set. Make sure the layer "Cross Section Lines" is on and locked. You should see the roof blocking member as a framing box.

4 - Send the view to cad detail. Select the lines that are generated from the top edge of the gable wall framing or the gable truss. Copy them, and paste-hold-position into your cross section. These lines will help you to make accurate snap placements.

5 - Select the roof blocking member. You will notice the selection handles are not exactly in place on the framing box, which is 'normal.' Using point to point move, select the corner of the framing box that you want to snap to the truss heel, and snap it there. You will need to hit F12 every time you move a roof blocking member in section view to regenerate the cross section lines.

6 - using the rectangular poline tool, begin drawing a rectangle from the midpoint snap on the ridge side of the blocking member's framing box. Drag it just past the ridge, and set the finish point on the angle snap that follows the perpendicular snap guides.

7 - use the multiple copy tool and copy the blocking at equal spacing, snapping the last copy on the top corner of the cad block that is used as the guide. Use point to point move to place the last block back at the peak.

Now repeat for the other side of the gable.

I know it is a bit labor intensive, but if you ever need to get that detail just right, well, here is one way.

Name:	auto lookout.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	34754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manual lookout.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	34755  
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316