Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpa_jones View Post
    Scott, if you do it that way you get whatever chief gives you. When I do it I don't get a 4x4 post, I get 2 7/16" x 2 7/16". The purpose of this workaround is to get EXACTLY what you want, and not count on just slammin it in there as hard as you can to get what you want.

Jim, I don't mean to imply that you automatically get a 4x4 post in the corner. What you are seeing is likely the window frames colliding in the 3D image. The purpose of this workaround is to place the windows properly so that after the R.O. there is enough room for the 4x4 post. That way the windows are dimensioned in the correct place for the framers to build the R.O. I'm not sure that the plan graphic or 3D is accurate.
    So this method gives you an EXACT size. If that is the case then you can make it 4" sq..... or 3-1/2" sq...... or 3" sq....... can you do it 2" sq...... what about 1" sq..... you get where I am going...... can you make it 1/32" sq..... if the answer is no , then at what is point is the smallest size corner you can EXACTLY determine and what is the limiting factor?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I love workarounds!
    Me & Geno are best buds!!!
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

This feature works

Hi,
    So my curiosity is peaking on this and I tried it on my machine.

The first thing I do before I try and shove windows and doors around is to turn off in the general plan options( ignore casing for opening resize) (double click the arrow select tool to get to this menu quick)

Its my opinion that the size of the corner should be the framing thickness plus exterior sheathing. That's what the window is mounted against.

Its true if you jamb the window into the corner it ends up way past the framing point. I had bumping and pushing activated when i did it. also I use temp dims and enter the value I wish to have it from the corner.

Also don't forget that if you put a dimension on an object you can move it very accurately and it will stay put much better.

Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

Also don't forget that if you put a dimension on an object you can move it very accurately and it will stay put much better.
    Not necessarily true especially in this case.... I think
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott,
    So are you up early or still up from last night?

I started with v4 or 5 and back in those days putting dims to just about everything was in order for accuracy.

Have an awesome day!
    Michael

Chief Architect user since 1997
    Current versions used X4, X5, X6
    www.MichaelPachDesign.com

Up early as usual, you have a great day too!
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Here is an inside camera view of a window to window corner, 3.5" corner post, 5.5" (2x6) walls. As can be seen, the inside corner is not trimmed with wide casings, and instead the window jambs meet at their 4-9/16" depth, and are trimmed with a single 3/4 x 3/4 piece of maple.

Merry Christmas everyone! I just snow-blew 6" of new fresh off the drive, and we are headed for the airport, to visit our kids out in Denver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-12-23_0847.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	44623  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

I started a new thread to carry on this discussion, so we can keep this one less cluttered. You can view it here:

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....169#post379169
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

It has been suggested that the CAD detail management box be made adjustable, ie, so that you can make it bigger to read the titles we put on our details. This is a great suggestion. I discovered by accident today that by widening the "CAD detail name" field, one can scroll with their mouse wheel, and the box will scroll side to side. Makes it a little quicker. Ya'll probably know this, but it made my day, so I thought I'd share.
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca