Hybrid View

Area Schedule

I'll edit this later to elaborate more, but here's a start:

Start with a Room Finish Schedule

• You can edit the title, make it say "Areas Under Roof" or "Heated Areas" - whatever you want
    • The areas columns total
    • You can do floor by floor or "all floors"
    • You can now add manual room names via the Room dbx. That means you can do something sneaky, like make all the rooms in the existing house "Study" or "Office" as the room type, then name them whatever is appropriate. Then.....
    • The Room Finish Schedule let's you choose exactly which room types. So let's assume you make the existing all "Office" room types. You just uncheck "Office" on the schedule and voila - a schedule that shows only your new room types.

Because Chief calculates Standard Room Area to the centerlines of walls, I put a note below that says

KEY
    STD. AREA (SQ FT) - Area calculated to the centerlines of walls.
    INT. AREA ( SQ FT ) - Area calculated to the interior wall surface.

NOTES

- The Standard Area for this schedule is calculated to the centerlines of walls, including at adjoining garages, porches and decks.

- The Heated Area totals shown below are calculated to the outside face of stud, to more closely follow industry standards.

- Because of this difference in calculation methods, you will see slight differences in the totals.

I sometimes also add to these notes, depending on the stage of design, the client, etc.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Import Word Docs Into Rich Text Editor - X2

Great Thread Idea Wendy. Wish it could get stickied somehow because just when I need a sneaky trick these threads seem to disappear.

Anyway the 'sneaky trick' is how to get Rich Text in X-2 to format numbered lists properly and it seems that if you import a Word Doc with everything the way you like it, Rich Text will wrap and number (bullet) properly.

Once imported into Rich Text The Word doc's formatting seems to stay put and wrap properly through 2 or 3 sub heads. Would be cool to see it work properly in the Rich Text dbx (which it does not) but this is a close second.

And it IS called Rich Text which is Word's native text language. Also once in the Chief's Rich Text dbx it continues to behave properly. Which to me means one could copy and paste that text and have that feature at the ready for any future text. A library item?

Yup, works great.

Hope that helps someone
    Last edited by HumbleChief; 01-30-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic