custom countertops

Is there a way to put a backsplash on a custom top against a wall? Thanks Dennis

You can (In an elevation view) reshape a cabinet to the point where it is only countertop with a backsplash or use a custom countertop and an extruded poly-line slab or soffit for the backsplash. Either way works.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Since you're probably talking about a splash with a straight and level top, the easiest way to accomplish this is with a Polyline Slab. Simply draw a Polyline shape, 3/4" or so in depth, placed against the wall. Set its height to 36" (if it's a standard countertop height) and set its thickness to whatever space it needs to occupy.

Jay
    Jay Palmer, President
    CARDIFF CONSULTANTS, LIMITED
    Developer of the [COLOR="Blue"]ChiefSymbols®[/COLOR] Libraries and PowerTools™ for Chief Architect® and Home Designer™

1470 First Avenue • No. 4A • New York, NY 10021 USA
    Telephone: 212.717.5425
    Fax: 718.208.4075
    Email: jpalmer@ChiefSymbols.com

Max -

I think this user is talking about making a custom top with a polyline slab, not using a standard countertop. In such a case one can't generate a backsplash automatically but must create it as an additional component.

Regards,

Jay
    Jay Palmer, President
    Developer of the [COLOR="Blue"]ChiefSymbols®[/COLOR] Libraries and PowerTools™ for Chief Architect® and Home Designer™

CCC is offline Building Florida Since 74
    Custom countertops will only generate a back splash if a cabinet is underneath, at least for me in ver 8.05. They also take on the height of the cab. underneath.

If the custom top isn't directly over a cabinet (free standing) it behaves like a 1 1/2" slab w/ counter top materials and the top of it is at 36" (default base cab height) without a BS.

One way to approach it is to place a 1/16" tall cab below with the floor to bottom at 35 15/16 to have a 36" high top with BS, for example. I think that it is interesting that the custom countertop 'sees' what is underneath and changes the 'height' setting in the polyline dialog box.

I bet that there are several more ways to skin this cat, too.

HTH, C

BTW: the height of the BS is modified in that 1/16" cab dialog box
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=darkorange]~Cheryl[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by srcdesigns
    Jay,
    Dean and I went through this too. Yes, you can have auto splash boards with custom polyline slab counter tops. works for me.

Well yes, but the caveat, as has been said, is that there must be a cabinet underneath - and even then there can be some difficulties. Very often I've had the backsplash disappear when I've resized a cabinet.

I should've responded differently, though, and said that I think the easiest way to create a level backsplash when you want only a countertop and there won't be a visible cabinet is to use a second polyline slab. I agree, though, that using the backsplash feature of the cabinet underneath is the faster method when conditions permit (back of items against a wall).

Sorry for the confusion,

Jay
    Jay Palmer, President

Thank you all. Will try each and see which is easiest for me.