Thread: Roof Issues

Roof Issues

I understand the program except for the roofs. I'm trying to bring the main house roof down adn then meet the porch with a 4/12 pitch. Auto roof doesnt' do it and when i draw the manual roof it just doesn't look right. could someone explain it to me step by step in idiot terms please because i'm starting to go crazy

Thank you!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dove res front.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	28868  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I hate to be "that guy", but try doing a search on the forum here.

There's lots of prior threads about this.

In fact I think there might even be one recently...
    Jonathan

I honestly dont even know where to begin searching. I appreciate the response and i've been searching for awhile. i usualy try to fudge it or leave it with a roof and tell my sub contractors what i'm looking for since its for estimating purposes anyway

If you could lead me to a post or that would be great

And if you have to start a sentence with "hate to be that guy" you probably shouldn't be him

Is this what you are looking for? Let me know and I will walk you through it. It is not as difficult as it may seem.

Name:	Roof.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	28873  
    Last edited by sherpa_jones; 01-06-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdterpfan22
    I understand the program except for the roofs. I'm trying to bring the main house roof down adn then meet the porch with a 4/12 pitch. Auto roof doesnt' do it and when i draw the manual roof it just doesn't look right. could someone explain it to me step by step in idiot terms please because i'm starting to go crazy

Thank you!!
    Assuming you have X1 and you're looking for general information, I would check out the Roof Design chapter in the User's Guide (Launch Chief. Go to Help >> View User's Guide...). There is also a number of articles in the Help Database on roofs.
    Sarah Mitchell

Sherpa jones that is exactly what i'm looking for

I'm also trying to get the garage roof plane and the "middle section" porch section of the hosue on the same plane if thats at all possible

If you could walk me through it that would be great

thanks a lot

No problem.

Before I get into the steps, you mentioned you want the 'middle' section to be coplaner with the garage. That is possible, and it would address the problem of that sliver of a gable wall that would be difficult to flash, side, and soffit. My other suggestion would be to raise that plane to be equally spaced between the other 2, and that would leave 24" of vertical space for both 'sliver' gable walls, much easier to finish, and gives a distinctive break to the roof line. Let me know which you prefer and I will guide you through based on that.

In the mean time, before I explain manual roof planes, I would suggest you create a new layer set and name it something like "roof set." Turn off all the layers except roof planes, walls, doors and windows. Lock all the layers except roof planes. This will help you work better with a less cluttered view.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Sorry i mispoke, i would like the right side of the house to be on one plane and the garage and pantry section to be on their own plane.

I'm sorry for being difficult i would just like to get a roof to work for once in my life

Thanks again for every one that helped

Like this?

Edit: I just took another look at your plan and there will be a problem with the look you want. Right now we have three roof planes at the front and you only want two. If we keep the middle one, the 4/12 porch roof looks great, but on the other side of the bedroom, the roof plane will be too low and will clip the ceiling in the bedroom closet. Conversely, if we keep the highest one, there will not be much room left for the porch roof, and it looks bad. The picture I included here is option A with the closet ceiling clipped. It might be easier to keep the three roofs and adjust the middle one to give equal vertical space between the other two.

Name:	Roof.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	28875  
    Last edited by sherpa_jones; 01-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

Md:

Here are a bunch of images that walk you through some of the steps to complete the roof. Note that unless you redo your defaults for the porch ceiling/roof as shown in Sherpa's post, the fascia for the porch roof does not match up and it looks bad. If you want them to match, you'll have to make that happen by changing some of your settings (porch ceiling height, porch roof fascia top for starters). Hope all this helps you:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 1 - Delete Roof Plane.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	28881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 2 - Drag Roof Plane Edge.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	28882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 3 - Reconnect Roof Planes Ridges.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	28883

Name:	Step 4 - Reshape Roof Plane Above Garage.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	28884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 5 - Check 3d View of Garage Roof Planes.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	28885

More to come!!
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Name:	Step 5a - Garage Roof Planes 3d View.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	28886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 6 - Roof Planes Properly Connected in Plan.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	28887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 6a - 3d View ofRoof Planes Properly Connected.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	28888

Name:	Step 7 - Make Porch Wall Full Gable.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	28889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 8 - Place Porch Roof As Req'd.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	28890

One more post with images to come!
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Name:	Step 9 - Laser Intersection Pts & Connect.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	28891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 10 - Reshape Porch Roof As Req'd.jpg 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	28892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 11 - Reshape Main Roof As-If Req'd.jpg 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	28893

Name:	Step 12 - PLACE 2ND STORY ATTIC WALL TO FILL HOLE.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	28894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step13 - 3D View Front Side Roof Fixes.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	28895

I have skipped just a bit of stuff but hopefully you'll be able to figure everything out. If not, let me (us) know what you need additional help with. Roofs always seem to be a nemesis to lots of CA users when they are just starting out and I was one of them back with v7. I wanted CA to auto build all my roofs but it just didn't work for me and I finally ended up taking some training. If I misinterpreted where you want your main roof plane(s), you should have enough information to fix them as well.
    Curt Johnson

X5