Townhome floor elevs.

My question relates to townhomes. How can I raise units in relation to each other, step them if you will, w/o going back in and changing each floor elevation of stepped units? The units now have the same floor elevations. (What really complicates matters is each "floor" has several levels).Is there a quicker, more "universal" way to raise a whole, individual unit w/i same file?
    Thanks
    Greg

Actually it is simple and easy. Just make the entrys into the various room dialogue boxes for each step-up (or step-down) per floor per building then rebuild floors. (How simple would one want it to be anyways???)

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

David I agree with Greg we need a way to raise or lower hole buildings in relation to one another I do a lot of units, and it is time consuming to go around and change each room floor level to adjust between levels of one another. We have complicated roof here that require a lot of manual work so you can't just rebuild roofs and let the Auto roof generator do it. You have to raise or lower each roof section indivually to, as you can't do it with a group select To make it more complicated we also show houses either side of alotments for street elevations and shadows, so even more buildings to change. A extension of the teraine building pad height would be great if it could be extended to indivigual buildings
    Maurice

Maurice,

I could imagine that it would be hard to raise a "hole" building as opposed to a "whole" building.

Do you know that it IS possible to raise or lower multiple selected roof planes in one go?
    When you select multiple roof planes, you get the Edit CAD item dbx and not the Roof Plane Edit dbx that you get when you select a single roof plane.

BUT, the Edit CAD Item dbx has an entry for Raise/Lower (when you select multiple roof planes) which enables the raising or lowering of the multiple roof planes in one go.

I also agree that it would be a great feature to be able to "group" or "zone" collections of rooms and apply settings to that group or zone.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Originally posted by srcdesigns
    Hi Greg,
    I'm just north of you in Fort Collins.
    As to the elevations, the answer to "is there a simple way..." is no. You can do it but it means adjusting the entire model. there is no way to simply raise the model in relation to another model that I know of. This could posibly be handled in the layout or another program by combining and editing dxf exports of your model. I can't see your model so I can't offer much in the way of suggestions.
    Greg:

Max is correct. You can export a 3D version of your plan to Acad (probably any 3D othercad), set up the unit as a block or x-ref it to another plan, copy it as many times as you need and set the elevation of each unit individually. If you get your topo as an electronic file from a surveyor you just need to check the scale they have set for their dwg file. Most of the time they have the units set in feet so, most of the time, you scale your import to their dwg at 1/12.

I agree this not easy to do in Chief, especially if you have 40-60 units to set. If you have Acad and need some help feel free to contact me direct. I'm just....more like "way" south and west of you and Max in beautiful downtown Ridgway.

lark@ocinet.net
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Hey

One way is to draw one building's shell, multiple copy it for as many buildings as needed. Set all the differering plate & floor heights. Then add all the interior walls for each floor and on each building. This way has more work, but less headaches.

I say have Chief make a dialog building box matrix, similiar to the add floor dialog box. Chief could name Buildings, Building 1, Building 2 and so on... and set floors, plate heights for 1st 2nd... floors all in diagramatic form??? Is that what you want? This should be able to work with Townhomes & Buildings separated by several feet.

My 2 cents worth,
    Rick
    Rick J. Lee
    RJL Design
    www.RJL-Design.com
    Thor2002@MSN.com

Whoops forgot about that one Glenn, Rick I have alot of townhouse predrawn so i copy from one plan to another with edit all floors so the internals are already drawn, but what you suggest is what I do for the nighbours houses for street elevations no internals needed
    Maurice

One thing I have done in the past is pull most of the internal walls away from the shell of the building. It will then act as one whole floor. Set the floor & ceiling heights. Push the walls back to their original locations, then re-lable the rooms.

Work arounds
    very tidious,
    Rick
    Rick J. Lee
    RJL Design
    www.RJL-Design.com
    Thor2002@MSN.com

Rick,

An easyier way to do this would be to multiple select all the internal walls and change them to "No Room Def".
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Thanks Glenn,

I'll try that from now on!

Thanks,
    Rick
    Rick J. Lee
    RJL Design
    www.RJL-Design.com
    Thor2002@MSN.com

Thanks for all your help! This was one of those 'work-arounds' where it was a combination of tips that got it done.
    Greg