Thread: 1/6 upgrade???

1/6 upgrade???

Hello everybody, I am trying (once again) to bring CA current. I have 9/2 and am trying to get to 1/6 by way of 9/2 to 9/13 then 9/13 to 1/6. NO WAY... I have the correct version of the patch 6.0 32bit DX for 9/2 and have both the 9/13 & 9/13 to 1/6 icons on the desk top. when I try to download to Chief I get a Error Msg. "patch error, old file does not exist". I tried this a few weeks ago with 9/2 to 10/21, same thing..got the error msg. Am I doing somthing wrong? Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

one quick solution is ato delete the .exe file and copy the one from the CD, then install the patch.
    hope that helps.

The easiest way I have found to patch is this:

1. Put your Chief cd in and exit the autostart splash when it appears

2. Open WinExplorer and browse to your Chief6 folder and rename your EXISTING Chief.exe file, for example if you're using the Oct8
    patch: Chief60x-32Oct8.exe (Just adding the date to the name is easy and keeps me straight on the version)

3. Browse to your CD and open the Chief60 folder, highlight the Chief60-32.exe and/or Chief60x-32.exe files RIGHT click and DRAG
    to the Chief6 folder on your HD. DROP and select COPY HERE from the drop down menu and your ORIGINAL version is now
    copied into the Chief6 folder, DOUBLE-CLICK on this file and check the date (mine is July18, but I don't know if there may be other
    original dates, anyway check to make sure)

4. Download the appropriate patch and install

This only takes a minute or two to do(much less than writing this explanation) and preserves your last install in case of a problem with the
    new patch. And allows you to restore it by simply deleting/renaming the offending update and renaming the old one back to its original
    (this maintains file associations and shortcuts already pointing to Chief6, but any of the versions will run by double-clicking on them
    from WinExplorer).

I prefer to patch from the original rather than patching the patches anyway--don't know if it makes a difference or not but it is so simple
    this way that I in fact have both versions (DX, non--X) with a copy of each patch on my HD ready to go--ten I think (big drives, not
    much housekeeping :-) )

I seem to recall during the discussion right after the release of the Oct8 patch about it being pulled just a couple of days after its
    release-thus the quickness of the appearance of the Oct21 patch..............

Tim O'D
    O'Donnell Construction