New mouse? (poll)

Hi Gents,
    I haven't been on here for quite a while. I guess that's what happens when you're busy and things are going well. I have a hardware question coming at the end of this post, so please be patient.

I recently switched to Win2000 because I like to run CA with dual monitors and Win9x won't use hardware acceleration with OpenGL and 2 monitors. That switch meant that I could no longer use my (beloved) PowerMouse because drivers haven't been made for it for years.
    www.slottweak.com/prohance.jpg
    I never used all 70 functions of the mouse, just the primary 17 buttons. I had things like walls, doors, cabinets, dimension, cad toggle, full screen, refresh, esc, no, del, exit, enter, save all, etc. programmed into the buttons and it was much faster to use than clicking on icons for common functions. Plus, the mouse was very smooth and had a high resolution.
    Now I'm using an MS Intellimouse Explorer. I like the optics instead of a ball, but besides the fact that I can't use all the buttons I'm used to, the resolution is not very good. I've tried everything, but it just won't get any better. Other mice are about the same.

I have some business contacts in companies that make input devices and brought up the idea of making a modern version of the PowerMouse. Things are looking pretty good. It would have very high resolution and ball bearing feet. You could literally give it a nudge and it would glide across your desktop. An icon would allow you to select profiles for different programs.
    There seems to be a market for a high quality mouse like this for secretaries and people who use Word and spreadsheets, and also for gamers. My question is this: is there a market for this type of item for people using CA, or am I the only one who isn't happy with the ones that are available now? Assume that the mouse will be ergonomic and all the buttons would be easy to reach.

Your input is welcome.

Gary
    Gilbert Homes, Inc.
    "We build more new homes than anyone else in Maine."

Yes, I would be interested in a pro-grade unit. I think I have tried just about everyone out there. Just not happy with any of them.
    Currantly using MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer.

mbm

oh that would be MAD!! would it have the opticks thinggy??
    i would use one for sure! my boss has a mouse with optics what ever and hass about 15 buttoms on it, he bought it about 4 months ago, but i dunno how to progam all the buttons. would it be similare to that?
    Impact Homes / Total Design, QLD. Australia

**only cheap wine comes in 5 liters**

Gary:
    I would be interested in an Optic Mouse with several programmable buttons
    Salvador
    Last edited by Salvador; 11-08-2002 at 02:42 PM.

Instead of giving the mouse a lot of buttons you also can buy Z-keys from Zack Morris www.zmc.com/products/zkeys.html
    That is an extra totally progammable 20 key keyboard.
    Spares you from RSI.
    I used mouses and digitizer buttons for 18 years.
    I have RSI because of just using the right hand.

Z-keys (and units like that) are a good idea for some people. The new mouse would have about as many buttons, so it could do the same job. It would also have the ability to use one button as a function key used in combination with the other buttons. Kind of like hitting F1, Alt F1, Ctrl F1, etc. So 17 buttons could be used to program 70 functions.

First and foremost, the mouse would be a precision, high quality product. Smooth and accurate. You spend at least 90% of your time with CA with one hand on the mouse. Shouldn't the mouse be the best quality possible? Something you enjoy holding in your hand? (alright, no jokes now) With enough precision to put a point exactly where you want it without having to go back and forth over the spot until you can get it lined up?
    The buttons, once you get used to them, are just a bonus to make your work go a little faster. Even simple, mundane things like moving the cursor to Yes or No on a menu are easier to do by just hitting a mouse button (assigned to 'enter' or 'no'). Once you get used to this, it's hard to go without it.

Anyway, I appreciate the positive responses and input so far. Unfortunately, it's less than 5% of the total "views" of this thread. I was hoping for at least 10% saying the idea has merit. I'll probably have to make my recommendation based on other markets and not count on architects as a possible source of sales. I'm not sure if this will kill the project or not. Maybe the other markets will be strong enough to carry it.

Gary
    Gilbert Homes, Inc.
    "We built more new homes than anyone else in Maine."

Why not make it a track ball type instead of the old pusharound mouse?

My elbow hates push around mice.

Dean

Originally posted by Dean
    Why not make it a track ball type instead of the old pusharound mouse?
    We planned on releasing a trackball version if the mouse took off. Since more people use a mouse than a trackball, it seemed like a good idea to introduce it 1st.

Gary
    Gilbert Homes, Inc.
    "We built more new homes than anyone else in Maine."

I am real happy with my two Mice (mouses). I use Logitech track balls. A four button for my left hand that most often moves the cursor, and an eight button wireless for my right hand, that selects, scrolls and clicks etc. However - they both are working together and functions are starting to be selected automatically and changing. I sometimes feel I am at the controls of a speed machine. Try it. No idle left hand!
    Mike

Originally posted by fitz
    I am real happy with my two Mice (mouses). I use Logitech track balls. A four button for my left hand that most often moves the cursor, and an eight button wireless for my right hand, that selects, scrolls and clicks etc. However - they both are working together and functions are starting to be selected automatically and changing. I sometimes feel I am at the controls of a speed machine. Try it. No idle left hand!
    Mike
    WOW, 2 mouseseses would be hard as!! i couldnt do it
    Impact Homes / Total Design, QLD. Australia

**only cheap wine comes in 5 liters**