Don is offline Registered User Promoted

Chief 6 Backward Compatibility

Will I be able to modify Chief 97 files with Chief 6?

Don:

The short answer is Yes. I have used 6.0 to revise Chief 97 files.

During the beta testing there was sometimes a need to open the 97 file then copy the 97 drawing to a new 6.0 file to get all of the new patterns to work but I don't know if that is still necessary for the final release.

I'll let one of the more senior "junior members" address that.

Larry

Don,
    I have been pulling in Chief 97 files every day that were started and not finished when 6.0 arrived and with the new features of 6.0 I couldn't resist. I have had NO problem at all.

The only thing that I did notice and I havent had time to check it out further was I tried to do an "edit Area" copy>paste to a new plan in 6.0 from a 97 plan and it changed all the wall attributes on me.

It wasn't a project...just playing around...but that too is a wonderful feature.
    Enjoy the new program...IT's GREAT !

Craig

Forgot one very important thing.....Do not just drag all your 97 folders into 6.0. Open the 97 files in 6.0 and save as...a new plan in 6.0. That way you always thave the 97 files safe as a backup and also you wmy want to work them over in 97 for some reason.

[This message has been edited by CraigMeyer (edited 16 August 1999).]

Craig and ART,

During Beta-Testing conversion of 97 to V6 was do-able but often adventerous and time consuming. I haven't had time to do much conversion work since and frankly I have been avoiding it somewhat due to my beta experiences. I have done some since the retail version came out and it seems less choppy. Did you (ART) actually address this in the retail version and patch? And Craig have you really found it as smooth as you posted? (I am not questioning your integrity Craig I just am interested to make sure you are seperating over-all enthusiam for V6- that I share- from a considered confronting of actual experience and ease of use)

David J. Potter

I've had generally better luck with the retail than with the Beta, but I still have consistent problems with railings. Easy enough to fix, v.6 is so much better it's well worth the effort but still a little annoying.

Matt

I did an edit area from a 97 file to a new 6.0 file. It works but if you don't have the same wall types Chief will pick a wall for you. That can make life interesting. :-)

Larry