how the cad detail relates to my plan?

I am going through and creating an as built plan here in a practice session before I tackle my real one.

I created a cad detail, made the changes to layers, line style and color, copied and pasted this detail over my plan. I then went to that layer in that plan and locked it.

My question is how is the original CAD detail(I see it as being stored in the cad detail managment area) related to my plan? I noticed that when I locked that layer in my plan, the cad detail itself was locked. I see that when I have that cad detail open, I can open the layer display options and see its locked. I am trying to visualize the process here...Is that cad detail a window (or"viewport") into my plan?

insight from you gurus out there will help!

PB

Peter,

The cad detail window is a new clean cad window for you to work in. It has it's own set of defaults and can be sent to layout at anytime and at any scale.

But when I copy it and place the copy on my floor plan, then lock that layer, and it is also locked at the source, does that mean they are linked? Im watching some more videos right now, maybe they will shed light on this.

You can put the Cad detail on it's own layer.
    When you lock up the detail (which is on the CAD layer), every single CAD line is being affected as well.

Shift select all the line work in the entire detail, and open the dialogue box.
    Take the lines off of the default CAD layer, Add a new layer, and turn it on and off as you like. Or lock it up.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons

My question is how is the original CAD detail(I see it as being stored in the cad detail managment area) related to my plan?
    When you do a "cad detail from view" producing a cad detail window, think of it as a snap shot of your plan (or view) at that point in time. The cad detail will not change and it is not linked to your plan (or original view).
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

In certain situations the cad detail window is connected to your plan. An example is the door and window schedules. We make all of our schedules up in a cad detail window and they are linked to the plan.

Good point Louis. I should have said " That cad detail will not change and it is not linked to your plan (or original view)."
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Another exception...A plan footprint is linked to the plan too. Create a plan footprint>add a wall in plan view, it will reflect in the cad detail management that has the footprint.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)