Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ron,

I tend to agree that this "feature" can be confusing. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's third world, but I can see how we might want to revisit our defaults. This was added before we had lighting to enhance how views looked in 3D.

It's may be time to consider pushing this feature into the background in favor of the better approximation of lighting that we use in render views.

This falls into the category of a non-photorealistic rendering technique. We see many of these used today such as water color, painting, and hand drawn line looks used to convey a more artistic rendition of the view. As such it has some value.

I do find it interesting that this hasn't been something that we get comments on very often. This tends to indicate to me that many people like the effect. Obviously not everyone does. We do give you control over the effect and I think that given that this is available and that it isn't a major complaint, I don't see a need to make any quick changes to it.

Perhaps this is due to the fact that color in layout sheets is usually not used. This is probably due to several factors, not the least of which is the cost of color printing. Since the cost is dropping, I'm sure we will start to see more color in working drawings. However, the input I'm getting today is that most people don't like color because it still doesn't reproduce well.

We will take this input and factor it into our long term directions.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

[QUOTE=Dermot Dempsey If you want actual lighting, you need to use render views. If you don't want Chief to do this, then you can modify your materials and turn off the Shading Contrast.

Where ddoes one turn off the "Shading contrast"

Ron Ravenscroft
    RAVENSCROFT ARCHITECTS, LTD.
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024
    623-434-0092 - 480-797-6894
    rrarchpa@cox.net or ron@raltd.net
    Version4 to X5 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ravenscroft
    AMEN...Thru all the Chief stuff it is a BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too, and if I wand different I can change it not the other way around. I changed it but it is another thing that takes time to change.

Ron Ravenscroft
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    Ron,

I tend to agree that this "feature" can be confusing. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's third world, but I can see how we might want to revisit our defaults. This was added before we had lighting to enhance how views looked in 3D.

It's may be time to consider pushing this feature into the background in favor of the better approximation of lighting that we use in render views.

This falls into the category of a non-photorealistic rendering technique. We see many of these used today such as water color, painting, and hand drawn line looks used to convey a more artistic rendition of the view. As such it has some value.

I do find it interesting that this hasn't been something that we get comments on very often. This tends to indicate to me that many people like the effect. Obviously not everyone does. We do give you control over the effect and I think that given that this is available and that it isn't a major complaint, I don't see a need to make any quick changes to it.

Perhaps this is due to the fact that color in layout sheets is usually not used. This is probably due to several factors, not the least of which is the cost of color printing. Since the cost is dropping, I'm sure we will start to see more color in working drawings. However, the input I'm getting today is that most people don't like color because it still doesn't reproduce well.

We will take this input and factor it into our long term directions.
    Doug:

Thank you so much for your answer. Time is money, so when I spend half a day to do what should be done in 10 minutes I get upset. Another thing to visit is not having the ability to send a color vector elevation to layout. Having to export a jpeg., then import it into ones layout is (third world). Then having to send a vector elevation to the layout and taking way to much time to reduce the jpeg to scale is again to much for me to handle. Two hours to reach Chief support due to a "training meeting. 10 minutes to export jpegs, 5 minutes to import and anol;ther 15 minutes to resize to scale is not what I expect from a mature program. Sorry to complain so much but these "little things make Chief very frustrating which puts the wonderful things Chief can do on the back burner.
    I hope some of these "little things" are being addressed in X2.

Ron Ravenscroft
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024

Well if worked but I would say it is no way to run a railroad

Ron Ravenscroft
    20611 N. 17th WAy
    Phoenix, Arizona 85024