Thread: Salt Box

Salt Box

New user

What is the method to drawing a salt box. Would I try to draw it as I would build it? Would you draw a single story for the front wall and a two story on the back and then try and mess with the roof pitches to see if the mtch? Would it be best to make sure the ridge hts. are the same. I have tried to draw this for a few hours and I am having some luck, but not enough.

The best way to answer this is to point out that the Help "Index" has a search feature. In a new plan you can just hit the "F1" key then type in "saltbox" make your selection in the left column of topics, then click on the display button at the bottom of the list.

The basics:

If you know the pitch you want for each roof you can have Chief build them automatically by selecting the walls and inserting the pitch and selecting the gable end walls as checking "Full Gable Wall". Both of these functions are on the "Roof" Tab of the wall specification DBX.

It also sounds like you need to review the manual roof tools and edit features. If 2 roof planes will intersect you can use the "Join Roof Planes" tool (One of the "Edit" tools that will pop up at the bottom, by default, when you select a roof plane.)

One roof will, probably show on the lower level and the other on the upper level. You can, however, change which level a roof plan is displayed on by double-clicking on the roof plan and selecting the "Options" tab in the Roof Plane Specification DBX. Once you have both roof planes display on the same level you will be able to use the "Join Roof Planes" tool.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Draw a 2 story house.
    Build a typical gabled roof on your second floor with a 9 in 12 pitch minimum.
    (Looks better that way. Some people like 12 in 12's.)

Click on one of the roof planes and send it down at least eight or nine feet by altering it's fascia height. Lock in the pitch before doing this.
    (or use the transform replicate tool and move it down in the z plane).

Use the join roof tools to snap the ridges on your roof planes back together.
    You'll have a salt box.
    Val
    Chief user since the Millenium
    V-8 thru X-6
    Windows 7
    Dell Studio XPS 9100
    x64-8gb w/1gb ATI Radeon 5800
    my web page
    Curbed Hamptons