Thread: New Tool?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey
    So over time, most users have learned to simply ignore the 3D column when they are working in plan view because it doesn't do anything there.
    This is probably true for new users,,,, but IMO (at present :-) ), being able to use the same layer set for both 2D & 3D makes more sense. Example,,,, I draw EWP (joist and rafter) layouts for most if not all plans. In plan view I’m working on the same view that will be sent to layout. Lets Say first floor framing layer set,,, joist, foundation walls and other items visible. Now if I want to work in 3D on the joist and prefer to have only the joist show, well that is all that shows because of my 3D column set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey
    Now draw a wall and create an elevation view looking at the wall. Once again draw a rectangular polyline and a polyline solid. This is where it gets confusing. To turn off the display of the rectangular polyline, you need to uncheck the 2D column and to turn off the display of the polyline solid you need to uncheck the 3D column. Does the 2D column control the display in 2D view or 3D views? Or does it control the display of 2D objects or 3D objects? This is ambiguous in elevation views.
    There again I guess it all comes down to work habits. I’ve almost never drawn 3D objects (p line solids and the like) and left them on a 2D layer. Example,,, draw a quick step,,, chimney cap,,, kick boards,,, and so on. These types of items have layers they get assigned to. The layer painter made this a lot quicker than previous versions

As for the line weights being sent to layout and cad details, this is very helpful. I personally send all elevation and cross section views to a cad detail and have found that using the layer painter accomplishes the same in short order. Now,,,,, having all those lines land on their original layers rather than Line layer and Pattern layer would really be an enormous time saver in both layout and cad detail. I realize if the layer set that created the layout view or cad detail is set up properly there shouldn’t be the need to do the above as long as the line weights in the 2D view of a layer set are the same required for the 3D view of the same layer set. I’m not too sure about that one yet!!!!!!!!

Ok,,, hold off on that tool (original post),,, LOL

Thanks again, Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/