Line Weight Colors

I'm returning to Chief after a couple of years of hand drawing and am trying to set it up right. But, I'm using 9.5 rather than a new version. (can't quite make the upgrade yet)

I'm trying to color code my line weights to see them easier (2 purple, 3 green, 4 red, etc). I've gone to the Line Specification dbx and clicked on Line Color. There are 16 boxes for custom color and I've clicked on one, then selected a color from the Basic Colors and made a few minor adjustments, then clicked Add Custom Color. I did this for the bottom 8 squares to indicate line weights 1-8. I Saved my plan as my Basic Plan in Chief Plans file and when I reopen it - the custom colors are gone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve:

This thread might be of help as to how color and weight relate in chief ???

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ight=pen+color

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I'm not sure but I think you will lose the changes you are making unless you save them to a template plan.
    Stephen Stuart
    Design/Sales
    Blackdog Builders, Inc.
    Salem, N.H.
    sstuart@blackdogbuilders.com
    V10.08, X1, X2 current, X3.3.2.20, X4 current, X5 current

"We wouldn't worry so much about what people think of us if we realized how little they do." credited to Oscar Wilde

I've tried saving as a template and any other configuration, the custom colors come to the new file but as soon as I close the plan and then reopen it, the custom colors are gone.

I'm not trying to import colors from another CAD file so the thread that Lew offered wasn't quite it.

What I'm trying to accomplish is a quick way to tell what line weight any particular line is - preference>show line weight isn't subtle enough to distinguish between weights.
    Any other options would be greatful
    Thanks

I use color to distinguish line weight by assigning the colors to layers. Open layers display, go to the third tab and create a new layer for your line weight and color. It's faster to switch the layer rather than changing the line wt, the color and line style for each line.

I don't think the boxes at the bottom will stay populated with the new colors but if the color is assigned to a layer you can pick it up there when you need to.
    Maureen
    X6.current