Question multiple elvations for one plan

does anyone have a suggestion on how to set up working drawings for multiple elevations of one floor plan without seperate files?
    Louise

Chief Architect X3
    HP Z200 Workstation
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Core i7
    12 GB RAM
    64-bit Operating
    ATI Firepro V4800

Louise:

Please clarify what you mean by multiple elevations ???

Using layers and layersets you could control what is seen in each elevation to a degree, but floors and ceilings (and other objects also) can't be assigned layers so it is impossible to make a room completely invisible.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Louise,

If you need different elevations it is best to go with multiple plans.

One option:
    Take the elevatioin view.
    Send it to Layout.
    In layout, there are grab handles on the sides, top and bottom of the view.
    Shrink the view to show only what you want.

Repeat until you have all the elevations.
    Is this what you're wanting?
    Mike

If you need different elevations it is best to go with multiple plans.
    I second Louis recommendation.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I have found it to always be best to do separate plans, because what you are asking for with different elevations is different walls. You can not expect Chief to be happy trying to put 2 or 3 different walls in the same location.

Tammy
    Tammy Apostolis
    TJD Designs, Inc.

Chiefer since V6
    X2 & X3
    Windows7 64-bit
    Dual 768MB 8800 GTX video cards (in SLI) with dual monitors

multiple elevations?

Thank you to all!
    I appreciate your feedback - your responses supported my thoughts but was wondering if there was an easier way.
    This is only a problem when you have to revise an area of a floor plan, which then makes it 3 times the work if you have 3 elevations for a plan.
    The elevation variations typically are roof, windows and stucco details.
    Thanks again one and all!!
    Louise

Chief Architect X3
    HP Z200 Workstation
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Core i7
    12 GB RAM
    64-bit Operating
    ATI Firepro V4800

I have to deal with this type of situation on almost every project. For the most part I have worked out a process with the contractor where we discuss all materials, window options,siding-stucco,etc. before I draw up the initial plan. The selections that are made are shown on my first plan. If there are other options to be shown as far as material, then they are shown on one of the other elevation plans. And if there is only the initial selections, but then different elevation options-the material has been applied to the first plan and therefor relates to all future plans.

Not to say that every now and then he doesn't brainstorm up some changes that he wants to show-where I have to go back to all plans and make the changes. But this method has cut down on the back and forth of keeping all plans up to speed.

Tammy
    Tammy Apostolis
    TJD Designs, Inc.

Chiefer since V6
    X2 & X3
    Windows7 64-bit

Louise,

You can use Copy and Paste/Hold Position to help you with this. Use separate files for your exteriors, and put the exterior walls on a new layer that you make, like Walls, Exterior. I recommend a separate door layer as well.

Keep the interior up-to-date in onlyone of them. When you need to apply those updates to your second or third plan:

In the primary plan - turn off your exterior walls, doors and windows, leaving only your interior walls, doors, cabinets etc showing. Select them, Ctrl-C to copy onto the clipboard.

Go to the next plan and Ctrl-Alt-V to Paste/Hold Position. You may need to select rooms and restablish their room type and any non-default floor or ceiling heights. Other than that, this works like a charm.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I'm still hoping that someday Chief will be able to keep all versions in one plan, like Softplan does.

Just give us total layer/layerset control for ALL objects and it should be possible.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Wendy-
    If the interior is the same then it would be great to just copy over the interior as changed. Thanks for that tip.

But-you don't get any mudding of the waters with this way?
    There aren't any conflicts between what you already have in the second plan and what you are bringing over from the first plan?

SO are you deleting these interior items in the second plan first before you bring in the changes from the first plan?

I often have different cabinet plans or options on the second plan, and maybe the material gets changed for all plans from a light maple to a custom wood material.
    This is where I have to go in and change each plan separately.

Tammy
    Tammy Apostolis
    TJD Designs, Inc.

Chiefer since V6
    X2 & X3
    Windows7 64-bit