Thread: Layout problems

Layout problems

Hello all

I am having difficulty with elevation in layouts.

i have been using Chief for over 2 years and have always completed my working drawing in Autocad.

I would love to be able to complete the job in Chief but always have problems with the layouts and seem to fall back to AutoCad all the time.

Here is an example of a problem.

I have sent my elevations to the layout pages. There always seem to be lines that appear in the elevations that need to be edited out.

Take for instance the front and rear elevations. There are walls being picked up and showen through the roof surface. I have tried to stop this by pulling down the wall height, having stop at ceiling height.

It does not show like this in the camera view in the plan drawing, only in the layouts. It is not in the side view as you can see.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

I don't want to hear that I need to use the edit button in the layout view to remove these line, because if that is the answer I may as well continue to send the drawings to Autocad as this never happens there.

Any help that can be given would be great.

Thanks

Brian Clairmont
    Barrie, ON Canada.
    X1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front elevation.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	27351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear elevation.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	27352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right elevation.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	27353  

Hi Brian,

Some AutoCAD guys like to use the "View to CAD" tool which takes a snapshot of the screen view and converts it to 2-D CAD lines (stored in the CAD Detail section under CAD) which can then be worked in Chief like AutoCAD I do not use this method as I never used AutoCAD.

What I do is like you have done just send to layout. I have reported the behavior to Tech Support but obviously you are still getting the missing pattern lines or 3-D objects bleeding through (attic walls and ceiling planes). I had this happen a lot in 10 but not so much in X1.

Anyway In your case your attic rake walls are showing through and in some cases a ceiling plane is bleeding through. You can turn off those layers before sending to layout to lesson or eliminate using the "Edit Layout" tool to create or remove missing or unwanted lines, once sent to layout.
    I prefer the dynamic connection saved camera views offers especially for remodeling work because "View to CAD" views are not dynamically connected and thus have to be edited line by line or redone when changes are necessary.
    The "Edit Layout" tool only appears in "Layout Mode" yo will find the icon just under the main toolbar, upper-left. You left-click on it to start the tool mode and select-delete to remove lines or just left-click-drag to create lines.
    This tool is also used to reset line weights per layout view for isometric and elevation/cross section views (not plan views) by selecting a line in a view and then opening the line dialog where you can make changes in line color and weight per view (it is not a global change, just for the lines of the view the line is a part of).

HTH

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-05-2008 at 09:02 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

This problem is not new. It is especially prominent in x1. It seems that you can not use saved camera views when sending images to layout. Try sending a new camera view to layout. Should solve the problem.
    Larry West
    Triad Estimating & Plan Service
    Tobaccoville, NC.
    v10.08
    vx-1

Edit problems

Thanks Guys

I would prefer to keep the elevations live.

I will play with trying to turn layer on and off.

I would like to never have to send to Autocad again, but when you get used to something it is hard to break from it.

I teach Autocad at a local college, but prefer Chief in many ways.
    I have difficulty with this problem and with dimensioning I find it difficult to dimension to what I want without using markers anyways that is a whole other deal.

Thanks again

Brian Clairmont

I understand, me too. Chief is quite wonderful but not perfect.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Hey Brian how are you? I guess you made it home safely that snowy day?

If you need further help just let me know.

I think another thread just hit on this - try taking the elevation camera view from further back, and extending the arrow longer before setting the view.
    John VanderMyde
    X1 & X2 Vista 64 HP HDX
    www.vandermyde.com
    Building Design on the Outer Banks of N.C.
    N.C.G.C.# 48835 Unlimited

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.” -Abraham Lincoln

Layout problems

John

I can't believe that worked.

Wished I new that trick before I decided to send all the views to Audocad and complete the job there.

Anyways Thanks for the help.

Brian Clairmont

P.S. Louis that was not much snow, when we get 3 feet at once then it might be a concern.

No problem Brian, it kind of surprised me when I figured it out too. Elevations can be a PITA if you have to edit them!
    John VanderMyde
    X1 & X2 Vista 64 HP HDX
    www.vandermyde.com
    Building Design on the Outer Banks of N.C.
    N.C.G.C.# 48835 Unlimited

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.” -Abraham Lincoln