Thread: Multiple copy

Multiple copy

This is too easy to be needing a post, but it's not working. CAD tools. I'm using the Transform/Replicate tool to make a series of I-joist at 16" o.c. Simple. Pick on the I-joist, Transform/Replicate button, X in the copy box and qty of 5, X in the move box and specify 16 in the x-axis. This should give me 5 more I-joist evenly spaced to the right at 16" o.c., right? Wrong. It gives me 5 I-joist on top of each other, no left or right movement. I've used this sequece many times before and no problems. Today it's not working. I tried re-doing the same process several times, thinking I'm missing something simple, but nothing works. I even tried offsetting a simple line, but it just piles them up on top of each other. I also tried the Transform/Replicate and go in the y-axis, thinking it would go up or down, but it travels in the x-axis. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on? I even shut down my computer and re-started, no change. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Sandsoy
    Mpls, MN
    CA X1

Mark,

Are you in the default behavior mode?

If you would please send me an example of this I would like to see this.
    louis@my-design-team.com

It sounds as if you are replicating the items in the wrong axis.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Louis,
    I'm not sure what you are refering to with 'default behavior mode'. I'm still in the learning curve. I'm working in CAD mode, detailing a cross section. The 'Active Layor Set Control' was set to 'Section View Set' (not sure what that means. I changed it to 'Default Set' and tried my offset again, but still having the same problem. Also discovered that if I offset in the Z-axis, it actually moves in the Y-axis direction (up and down). No idea what the problem is, but it seems to have a pattern and be consistant.
    I'd be happy to send you an example, how do you want it? Save as? Export? Picture? Let me know how to send it and I'll be happy to give it a shot.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Sandsoy
    Mpls, MN
    CA X1

Are you trying to copy the I joists in plan or cross section?

Send me the plan if you can.

Ah, you are in elevation mode. Even when in the elevation mode the the plane of axis in order to move and copy via the 'Transform/Replicate' tool is in the plan view. If you take an elevation view from the right side lets say and you copy something the using T/R the positive x axis will be towards you positive y to your right etc.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Dshall,
    You're right, it appears to be an axis issue. When I specify the x-axis direction, the replicate is not moving. When I specify the y-axis direction, the item is moving in the x-axis direction. And when I specify the z-axis direction, the item is moving in the y-axis direction. Do you suppose when I specify the x-axis direction, it is actually moving in the z-axis direction, in which case, all the axis are off by one, and maybe there is a x-y-z axis default that is screwed up? Thoughts????

Louis,
    I exported a current view and emailed it to you. Hope that format works for you.

I took a cross section of the building, then off to the side I'm using CAD lines to produce a cross section. These CAD lines and CAD blocks are the problems. I am NOT trying to transform/replicate a joist that was put in as an object in plan veiw.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Mark
    Mark Sandsoy
    Mpls, MN
    CA X1

Three cheers for carpenter guy.....

Carpenterguy,
    You got the answer.
    After reading your post, I took an elevation veiw 90 degrees from the problem elevation, and now all is right with the world (well, my part of the CA world). I never knew the x-y-z axis direction was dependent on the floor plan and where the elevation was taken. Now I know. In thinking back of previous detail drawings I've done, I've always started with a new plan and referred to an elevation view. This time, I started drawing in the elevation view, which changed my x-y-z axis. Thanks a bunch for your time and problem solving skills. It is greatly appreciated.
    Mark
    Mark Sandsoy
    Mpls, MN
    CA X1

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    This is one of the nw behaviour modes in X1 that I disagree with.
    It is univerally accepted that veiwing a screen , sheet of paper or whatever that the x axis is side to side and the y axis is up and down while z relates to the third dimension which will vary depending on specific situations.
    What we have in X1 is 2 different sets of rules for model and cad mode.
    I have no problem with the concept of using z to set the real world height of objects but when I look at the sreen x should always determine left and right.
    I stand to be corrected but I do not know of any other cad software that uses axis definitions like X1.
    At the very least if the definitions change depending on view there should be a graphic in the corner of the screen showing eaxctly where x y & z are to avoid confusion.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Here in other cad the object has been rotated to show the y,Z axis. This makes sense to me in other cad, and it makes sense in chief. This is how things have to work in a 3D enviornment.

And yes it would be a very good idea for Chief to show the coordinate system.

Flat files by definition have only X and Y coordinates so I think Chief is following accepted practice here as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y, Z axis.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	27315  
    Last edited by billemery; 11-04-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net