Thread: Framing Braces

Kicon is offline Registered User Promoted

Framing Braces

Is there a way to add diagonnal let-in framing braces into a framing plan?

I am not entirely sure what a "let-in framing brace" is but I am sure it can be modeled in 3-D or 2-D, placed on whatever layer you want it on thus organizing it to a framing plan.

What does it look like and does it need to be 2-D only or does it need to be 2-D/3-D in nature?

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Is this 1x4 corner bracing - cut into the studs. Probably metal straps but the 1x4 in new construction is seldom seen.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Yes
    A polyline solid..
    Add it to the wall in an elevation,drag it into place in plan..
    Put it on the Wall framing layer..
    Copying a stud or plate from the wall didn't work resizing it..
    I use 2x4s in real life when I do use them..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	27055  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

- #2, 1x4 pine in Tallahassee when those corners were braced that way - can't believe someone is still doing that as it is very difficult to cut in "tight", the integrity of the studs can come into question otherwise - a sheet of plywood on the corner is cheaper - not sure code allows (present day) cutting the studs especially multi-story structures. - - Allen, you do not cut in the top and bottom plates as well?
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

Hi Mike
    The only time I really use them is for garage to house walls that do not need them.
    If I am in the mood rather than have to use a temporary one.
    Rather than having to square and nail a brace on or level it after it's up and nail a brace on.Then later take it off and pull all the nails out.
    That might be in the way of building other walls.

Or if I just think it is a good idea to have one..4 ply 18" beam for the floor over a garage,that wall,it doesn't hurt to have extra bracing..
    Not a code thing..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

a sheet of plywood on the corner is cheaper

This might be affected by the IRC 2006 wind bracing rules ???

See the prior threads that were posted about wind bracing

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

This is an East Coast / West Coast thing. I have rarely seen let in bracing in houses in California. You will find them in the Pacific Northwest because those older homes were built by Scandinavians. Even in older homes (pre war) in California I find diagonal blocking where let in bracing should have been. Since a lot of the homes in California are built with stucco, they probably relied on the shear value of the concrete in place of bracing the framing.

In Seattle I would tear into a house and be embarrassed by how excellent the framing was cut. I felt disrespectful when hacking into a remodel with a Sawzall and erasing some dead Norwegians perfectly cut row of blocking. It gives me a benchmark to shoot for.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Hmmm...On the contrary, I have run into a multitude of let-in braces here in California, mostly in houses from the mid 50's to the early 70's, but I still installed a few of them myself in some houses in the early-80's as a young carpenter, all right here in California.

I find the diagonal blocking typically in houses built before the mid 50's or so.

Basically when the earthquake requirements really started kicking in, were they finally out-lawed. This was around 1980 I believe, but of course it took years to trickle down to the smaller communities.

Interesting site on the history of California Building Codes.

But of course, I digress.....

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira
    ...Since a lot of the homes in California are built with stucco, they probably relied on the shear value of the concrete in place of bracing the framiing...
    Actually, when I was serving as a job superintendent in Palm, Springs, CA., all areas a wind brace would normally be used employed OSB as part of the shear walls required by code Most of the stucco was installed using felt and chicken wire which really did nothing to act as bracing (at least not to the same effect as directly applied sheathing would. This was in the late 80's and easrly 90's. I have to say that, while working in Palm Springs, I always felt uncomfortable with the framing. It seemed the roofs tended to be extremely top heavy due to the lumber sizing and large timbers used as compared to the wall framing below which seemed light. My opinion only and I refuse to get into a framing debate.

I agree that OSB serves the same function and does so much more efficiently but there are situations where OSB would not or should not be applied and wind bracing works very well. The Wind bracing has it's limitations due to requiring a specified number of studs coverage that OSB would not have. Like Allen, I simply go with my "gut" and install it as I feel it may be required. And, like Allen, I feel there are many situations that require a framer to make a decision and go above and beyond what may be required by code in order to assure himself the job is more than adequately braced. Call this "gut" application a good sign of a craftsman. It isn't something directed by code or book learning but by really knowing what you are doing.

Max
    Last edited by Max; 10-24-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Kicon is offline Registered User Promoted
    Thanks, it was in a plan that I needed to input into Chief, it it wanted a brace.

Max, I stopped using "osb" a long time ago and my engineer agreed because we were running into a problem years after "osb" was applied. We had to demo a wall with "osb" and while removing, the sheathing crumbled while in our hands. No shear value at all and there was no evidence of dry rot or water damage. Real plywood wont do this. They may have also improved the "osb". Just a thought and my opinion.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh
    Max, I stopped using "osb" a long time ago and my engineer agreed because we were running into a problem years after "osb" was applied. We had to demo a wall with "osb" and while removing, the sheathing crumbled while in our hands. No shear value at all and there was no evidence of dry rot or water damage. Real plywood wont do this. They may have also improved the "osb". Just a thought and my opinion.
    While the OSB sheathing is what the builder and local framers were using at the time (1989) they were not using any type of house wrap other than the felt which was more for the stucco than anything else. As much water as is needed to keep lawns green in S. CA I believe you.
    As I mentioned in my post above, I wasn't too "comfortable" with the framing I was seeing at the time.

Max

Back to the original question
    If you open a wall framing detail,there are wall framing tools that can be used..
    It will be the full width of the studs,but fast and easy to add.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4