Boxed Out Window

Suggestions as how to box-out a window...I do not mean a "box window" I mean having just the window itself (and trim) protrude from the surface of the wall, say....5" or so....a penny for your thoughts??....Sam.

Have you tried setting your frame depth inset to a negative number?

Boxed Window...No Go

the dbx did not allow a negative number in the frame depth field....any other suggestions welcome....thanks.

Small room trick

You could make a model in another program such as Sketchup , and import as a WINDOW using the symbol import wizard, the process will generate a hole in the wall.

You can make Chief work for Sketchup. Draw a room, adding the window you want, then export a 3DS file from the 3d view. Open the 3DS in Accutrans and eliminate the walls to leave just the window. This window is imported to Sketchup where any modifications can be made, and re-imported to Chief( export a 3ds from Sketchup, import to Chief using the symbol import wizard, do not use drag and drop). You can work with round top windows, so long as you remember to made to largest dimensions of the window unit rectangular by adding planes as necessary.

If you want to keep it all inside Chief , add another Very shallow room where you require your window, place the window on the outer wall of the small room, and join the two rooms with a Doorway.. in the small room you will need to raise the floor and lower the ceiling, do this via the room dialog box. you may also wish to change the thicknesses of the walls in ( make a new custom type), and perhaps change the thicknesses of the floor and platform.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small room.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	27120
    Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 10-28-2008 at 01:03 AM.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Boxed Window & Sketchup

Thank you, greatly appreciate the advice. Played with sketchup years ago and have not touched it since, so not well versed with the program. I thought about using the "small room" idea, however, to do a whole house full of boxed windows would probably drive me nuts....I would think there would be a [relatively] simple way to accomplish this...just haven't found it yet. Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

What do you mean no go? What type of window are you using?