Dormers across planes... Can someone help me??

I have a 3/12 shed roof over a front porch that ties into an 8/12 porch over the house. How do you draw dormers that extend from the 8/12 pitch across to the 3/12 pitch?

When I move the auto-dormer across the plane I get the error message saying it can't do that. I understand the message so how to I work around it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Phillip Rye
    Rye Home Energy Consulting and Design
    www.dougrye.com
    www.philliprye.com
    Ver. 12

In this case you cannot use the auto dormer. You will have to break the lower roof plane and manually draw walls to build a dormer.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Phillip

You will need to use a manual dormer. The auto dormers will give an error when the hole in the roof exceed the main roof plane itself.

It can be useful to start with an auto dormer that's close, explode and edit. Yours might start shorter or smaller than the final. Or, you could bring your main house roof down far enough to hold the dormer, get an auto dormer the height, width etc that you want, then explode and clean up the roofs.

In your case, you'll find that the roof hole needs to be eliminated and the main house and porch roofs shaped around the dormer. The roof hole often makes a good guide. Trace it with a polyline, then notch and shape the porch and house roofs following that polyline.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)