Flared window openings, thick walls, like in a church

We have done windows in foundation walls, the details of construction thus:

Windows purchased without any extension jambs or with smallest ext-jbs possible. R.O. in thick wall (we do this in ICF and solid concrete) is oversized at sides, top, and sometimes bottom. R.O. gap is filled with wood framing parts so that gyprock finish on inside can show 45 degree flares to opening wherever R.O. has been made bigger. See the pic, attached.

I can figure a way to paste details into layout for this using CAD or Sketchup, but how would one do it in Chief for an inside-the-room render?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICF window framing.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	26761  

Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Thanks, but that is the reverse of what I am after.

This issue is blocked by the fact that Chief mounts an exterior window or door at either "zero," meaning against outside face of wall, or moves it into the wall (from exterior toward interior) by whatever "recessed" dimension is specified, within limits.

But, hey, while I am writing this, I am thinking, and I am in V.10, what might happen if I make a wall in reverse, meaning just flip layers? Will the window recess out?

Because if it does, I can be in business!

No that won't work.

However there is a setting for where your window sits. There is an inset setting or something like that. I would have to look to know for sure.

Can you redefine your walls, place the main layer as a thin layer near the outside, and then check "recess to main layer"?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I did not have a chance to try this, for exactly what you want, but I would do something like what is shown in the images below.

The problem is in how you deal with the wider wall both above and below the window. You could use polyline solids for both fills or try a pony wall for the opening with the thin wall above and thick wall below, with alignment adjusted as required, then just use a polyline solid above.

May take a little trial and error to get things just right.

Name:	Special Recess Window.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	26770  
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

This deals with the area above and below the window.

This is a window symbol that stretches nicely. It's made for a 3D molding polyline and a window sash converted into a millwork item.

You can use a separate pline molding at the head and sill if they are different.

The problem with this window is that it cannot be accurately represented in plan and requires a cad patch to make it look right.

Name:	recessed window.JPG 
Views:	359 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	26774  
    Last edited by billemery; 10-14-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

The method I devised was made in version nine and a half, I cant seem to get it to work in X1, anyone else have this experience.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

I made the attached custom window with your method Jeff in X1 for the project below and it seemed to work fine. I used a two layer wall with the main layer on the inside and the outer layer the same depth as the molding.

But the molding was placed on the outside on this window. What if you just placed the same molding on the inside? Made a "room" outside to fool the window?

Attached Files Attached Files

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

I tried something that will do the trick for what I want to do. It involves tricking Chief into reversing a window, doing it in a wall that is flipped, and the bevel casing thing. Maybe there is an easier way.

Remember that what I wanted was a way to get an interior vector camera view, showing my "church" window with its flared drywall returns. Using V 10.

Since I don't care if the plan view shows this accurately, or a wall section either, since all I will do is clip the view for pasting onto a layout page, what I got was OK.

The triangular casing is used in the attached pic. Sorry about the sloppiness, I made my triangle a 6x6 instead of an 8x8, but you can get the idea.

Name:	Inside church.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	26789