Lighting: pendants hung from high ceilings

Pendant lights hung from vaulted or tall ceilings create a need for lighting symbols that have some sort of spec dialog associated with them, to be able to set the fixture height off floor, when the long rod with its canopy (the part of the fixture at the rod or chain top that decoratively covers the hanger fixing and wiring) runs up to the ceiling.

Stretching a fixture to, say, 6 feet height, when it starts out as being half that, distorts the whole vertical scale. That is not acceptable, because we only want to stretch the rod or chain.

Is this available?

Is it a feature of X1? I work right now in V 10.08.a.

Create a new symbol in SU.
    Jonathan

There have been a few stretchable fixtures posted on this forum.

The best way is to look at the ones that are set up to stretch already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendants.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	26738  
    Last edited by louis; 10-13-2008 at 07:25 AM.

By the way there are some in 10 already set up to stretch.

Gene,

Just open the symbol (looks like a pencil and a top) of the one you want to use and adjust the stretch plane.

check out this scene

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 lights ss.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	26742

From left to right.
    1st lamp: strait out of the library

2nd lamp: this has been "pulled down", it has a stretch plane at right angles to the cable, and therefor the cable is stretched while the lamp retains the same proportions.

3rd Lamp,same as the second one , but now the stretch plane has been removed, you can see that the elongation occurs over the whole of the object.

4th lamp, strait out of the library this model contains no stretch plane, if we were to stretch it down wards, to whole thing would stretch proportionately,

5 th lamp, This is where a stretch zone comes in handy two stretch planes are coupled to produce a stretch zone, see the symbol dialog box, you will need to experiment to determine the best position of the two planes.

Of course you end up stretching the chain, where really you need to add extra links, but there isn't really any( easy) way to fix this
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

I am looking for this very feature in X5 and don't see how it is done. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Pendant lights hung from vaulted or tall ceilings create a need for lighting symbols that have some sort of spec dialog associated with them, to be able to set the fixture height off floor, when the long rod with its canopy (the part of the fixture at the rod or chain top that decoratively covers the hanger fixing and wiring) runs up to the ceiling.

Stretching a fixture to, say, 6 feet height, when it starts out as being half that, distorts the whole vertical scale. That is not acceptable, because we only want to stretch the rod or chain.

Is this available?

Is it a feature of X1? I work right now in V 10.08.a.
    SEASIDE
    DESIGNS

Scott Menard
    Houston, TX
    Lenovo Laptop
    Windows 7 Home 64Bit
    Core I7 2630QM CPU 2.00GHz
    8 Gig Ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6570M

Select the light in a camera view. Make it longer. If it stretches the whole thing instead of just the chain, then it means the light does not have a stretch plane setup. You can create a stretch plane by using the "open symbol" dialog instead of the normal "open" dialog.
    Kilgore Trout

KT,

tried eveything in the symbol selection criteria and nothing works except the ceiling cover stretches yielding an unrealistic effect. Any samples of how this is done?
    thx
    SEASIDE
    DESIGNS

Scott Menard
    Houston, TX
    Lenovo Laptop
    Windows 7 Home 64Bit
    8 Gig Ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6570M

Quote Originally Posted by beachcomer View Post
    KT,

tried eveything in the symbol selection criteria and nothing works except the ceiling cover stretches yielding an unrealistic effect. Any samples of how this is done?
    thx
    Here is a link to a video, http://youtu.be/CBh8u4MW_Vw
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Thanks Scott! You're the man! The video was precisely what I needed.
    SEASIDE
    DESIGNS

Scott Menard
    Houston, TX
    Lenovo Laptop
    Windows 7 Home 64Bit
    8 Gig Ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6570M