Hybrid View

Selecting doors from the library.

I am sure I am missing a very simple step but, here is my problem. I cannot select a door with sidelights from the library to use on my plan. I have tried the default window, opening a door that has already been placed, etc. I can select the chosen door in the library and click ok but the door style always stays the same. In door defaults I will click library from the door style drop down menu only to have it immediately change to glass. Please help this newbie out.

Thank you in advance,
    Steve

Have you tried bypassing the door tool and dialog, dropping the door in directly from the library?
    Warren Hirsch

Ginius, I did not try that. Thank you. Any idea why I can't set a door from the library as the default?

You're welcome. When you set defaults and choose library, Chief looks to the "Doors" library. Every door that I've tried from that library will work. Doors with sidelights, etc. are not in the Doors library. I believe that the various entry systems included in the libraries are actually symbols, which have limitations with regard to editing. Perhaps one of the Chief people will chime in here, as I don't think I can fully explain this behavior.
    Warren Hirsch

A workaround that you can do for that is choose the door style that you like and edit it down to the correct casing, frame, etc. not including the lites. Then go back and choose the door that is single pane fixed glass and take off the hardware. Slim it down to however wide you want the side lites to be and place one on each side of you door. Push them together and you have a door with side lites, and each part will be editable independently. (Note: You may have to suppress the casing on the door itself so you dont have double casing.) Save all three together as an architectural block, then you can place the block in any of your plans. Also you can break the block into its constituent parts at any time if you need to make changes. Hope that helps.
    Mike Hall
    Regarding Kitchens Inc.
    Version X1