Thread: Roof Baselines

Roof Baselines

I have noticed lately that auto generated roof baselines don't seem to be working as they should.

Auto generated roof baselines are meant to generate over the outside face of the main wall layer.
    So that if I have a brick veneer wall the auto roof baseline should generate over the outer face of the internal timber wall (the main layer).

Instead, the auto roof baselines are now controlled by the "Build Platform to This Line" setting in the Wall Type Definition dbx. This setting is only meant to control the generation of floor and ceiling platforms - not roof planes.

Is anyone else getting this?
    a bug?
    A metric thing?

It used to work correctly in previous versions - but seems to be different now.

I hope this isn't a permanent change because I usually use brick veneer walls on a concrete raft slab, with the inside timber skin as the main layer.

I want my platforms (floor) to build to the outside of the brick skin (as per the "Build Platform to This Line " setting) and I want my roof baseline to be over the outside face of the main layer (the inside timber skin).
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I'm not sure but have you checked your default settings and are you properly telling the dbx where to generate the baseline properly?
    New User of XI

Jim,

Checked what default settings?
    What dbx are you referring to so that I can generate the baseline properly?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glen,

It does that exact same thing in 10.

Louis,

I can't remember when this function changed - but I'm sure it has.

The help file for Roof Baseline Polylines states:
    "You can generate roof plane baselines in the Build Roof dialog. Check Make Roof Baseline Polylines (this also checks Build Roof Planes) and click OK. The automatic roof generation process stops short of building the roof planes. A continuous set of roof baselines is created along the outside edge of the main layer of the exterior walls."

This is not correct, they are built according to the "Build Platform to This Line" setting for the wall.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Glen, I noticed this problem after I upgraded to version 11.5.4.17, which I did at the same time I bought and transferred everything over to a new computer runing Vista 64 bit. BTW Vista is working just fine with this version and I think the problem is with the new version. I have experimented with a bunch of things to solve the problem and none seeem to work so now i just let the baselines generate and then edit the polyline. Its annoying but it works.

Johnny,

What Glen is talking about had nothing to do with 11.5.17.
    Last edited by louis; 10-04-2008 at 08:08 PM.