Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In the upper toolbar, Go to "CAD>Lines>Draw Lines" This will put you in "Draw Line Mode". Then use your mouse to draw the lines. After you have the lines drawn, hold your shift key down and draw a marquee around all the lines. These lines will now be selected. At the bottom left of your screen will be a temporary edit toolbar. There is a button that looks like an open door, click on it. This will bring up a dialog box. Go to the "Line Style" tab, go to the third item down on that tab which is "Line Style", and click the drop down arrow, and select a dashed line style. Now click OK and your lines will be dashed.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Gay:

My recommendation for you is to go to your local bookstore and get a couple of those fairly cheap "how-to-do" books on construction, electrical, plumbing etc. so that you can get a basic understanding of how the construction process works and how all the different systems are typically installed and function. Even after you do that, you will still need to make sure that anything you are putting on CD's (construction documents ... plans) will need to be compliant with your local building codes. If you don't know which electrical circuits are to be GFI protected or which plumbing drains are to be 2" vs. 1-1/2" etc., then what is the good in showing this type of information on the CD's?

In my area, many designers and architects don't do plumbing or mechanical designs or details in their CD's because the local codes don't require it, at least for residential work, which is all I do. Some do electrical designs like the one Allen Brown posted, but I frequently see those as more generic in nature and what actually gets installed can vary significantly depending on what customers decide when sitting down with their GC (General Contractor) and/or their Electrical Contractor and figuring out exactly what fixtures etc. they want to purchase and have installed in their new home. This often happens after the CD's are finished.

I will do generic electrical plans for my customers if they request me to ... otherwise I don't. On one project where the customer wanted their specific electrical plan included in the CD's, I provided them with a full scale (1/4" = 1') set of plans on which they penciled in all the switches, outlets, lights, fans, phone taps, tv taps etc. and then I put all that on the electrical plan for their project's CD's. My suggestion is to only do that which is required for your building department. Leave the electrical, plumbing and mechanical designs to the professionals who will be doing the work.

Lastly, if you don't have them, I recommend you get the training videos and go through them several times and practice as you learn. I still frequently go back and watch some of those as a refresher on how many of the tools function etc. Another good place to learn is from Chief Architect's Help Database Articles, which you can access from the home page of this forum. Don't forget that clicking F1 will get you into the manual where you can quickly look things up as needed.

Lots of luck to you as you learn and grow with CA.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Is there instructions on the internet anywhere or in chief talk that would teach me how to do the riser?

Which style of riser ???

The method I posted was created by my partner and enhanced by me and is fairly straightforward in creating the various risers (see the layersets).

I'm sure there is a standard method based on the way risers have been done for "eons" but even then, there is variety.

I don't like the traditional risers and prefer a 3D method like the one I posted.

There have been prior threads on this topic, try searchs on "riser" or 'DWV" or "sewer"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Hello Gayle; for the electrical I suggest you check out the codes required in your area; maybe the IRC code and place the electrical (outlets, lights, tv, phone jacks etc.) on the electrical plan. For the plumbing just locating the fixtures in the plan is what I do. The plumbers can locate the pipes / drains from the floorplan' some show the plumbing fixtures / elec through slab, down draft vents on the slab on grade foundation drawings. Good Luck Don
    Last edited by DON SHUMAN; 09-25-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    Donald Shuman
    CPBD- Certified Professional Building Designer
    AIBD- American Institute Building Designer
    TIBD- Texas Institute of Building Designer
    Designing homes since1980 in Houston,Texas area
    shumandl@yahoo.com
    Chief Architect;V2--- X1,X2,X3,X4-SSA
    Windows 7 32
    Christian; not perfect; just forgiven by the love & blood & Grace of Jesus Christ.

If this was easy to do,it would make framing easier to do right..
    It was not easy,but might have been if I looked for pipes instead of using molding lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	26303  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Allen:

I have used geometric cylinders before and they work fairly well but not when they need to be slanted.

I suppose I could export to Sketckup and then slant and then import but that's way too much hassle.

I'm hoping that someday we can plump as house "generically" like we can do now with the Electrical tools.

We don't need be "exact" in the entire run to the basement but it would be nice to get the major "transition" points modeled in 3D

If we could draw the "basics" as in pic1 and then have chief generate the drops to the basement as in pic2, that would be nice

These pics were for my own bath remodeling project and my first attemps at illustrating the plumbing this way.

We have since abandoned this approach for now as too time-consuming and use the generic riser diagrams as posted earlier in this thread.

Lew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2948_NEWBATH_PLUMBING.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	26304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2948_NEWBATH_SEWER_RISER.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	26305  
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Hi Lew
    I am more interested in how it affects the framing.
    Putting it in the plan would show what has to get boxed out.
    It is to time consuming now.
    I wanted to make a plumbing bay detail,and drawing the model seemed like the best way..
    Do it once and use it over again..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Lew , nice idea......hope you don't mind if I use it as a design tool to do my own.

Doug
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Design & Build, New Jersey
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X6 Build 16.1.1.9 X64 w/SSA
    X5 Build 15.2.1.3 X64 w/SSA
    X4 Build 14.3.2.2 X64 w/SSA
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium
    A Pool Cue , a Harley, a Hammer & a Camera
    Good Isn't Enough... When Better is Possible.

I am more interested in how it affects the framing.
    Putting it in the plan would show what has to get boxed out.

Allen:

That's what I'm suggesting, that chief have plumbing tools that we can use per pic1 and then chief will create the plumbing where placed and do the framing etc and show it in 3D.

Doug:

Your welcome, please use and then post your results and improvements to the concept.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I certainly will Lew...thank you....
    Doug
    Doug Michel
    General Contractor
    Design & Build, New Jersey
    Windows 7... 64 Bit,
    X6 Build 16.1.1.9 X64 w/SSA
    X5 Build 15.2.1.3 X64 w/SSA
    X4 Build 14.3.2.2 X64 w/SSA
    X3 Build 13.4.2.7 w/SSA
    X2 Build 12.6.0.25 w/SSA
    X1,V10,V9
    Sketch Up Pro 8
    AutoCad 2014
    Adobe CS6 Design Premium
    A Pool Cue , a Harley, a Hammer & a Camera
    Good Isn't Enough... When Better is Possible.

I agree with all that mechanicals can affect framing, but isn't this more about how far a designer can conceivably go to accurately portray ALL of the possible information necessary to "assemble or construct" something?

There may be items of concern for say plumbing which can be notated in order to make sure the conflicts are apparent, but I can't imagine worrying about drawing a sloped pipe within a plumbing diagram(sorry Lew!) BUT at the same time I can imagine commenting on how long sloped runs can impact framing, and require that any cutting or drilling be controlled by the GC or at a min the owner! This then requires someone to actually think about pipe placement and how to get from point A to B without damaging items in between!

I think we all know that a sloped run can exceed the capabilites to remain within safe areas of where it crosses thru a lot of framing, but by the same token, if say the basement(future finished space) is required to have ALL piping either above the framing or is allowed below the framing ONLY in specific areas, then the framing issue is moot.

I will specify that all electrical for example HAS to be within the framing, NOT run either along the bottom of a framing member or on a runner board....I plan for this to be installed where it will not affect later work. I don't think I have to draw it for Sparky to know what is expected, just as I rarely do it for the plumber.

Now to be fair, ductwork usually requires some extra thought, but the details do not have to be extensive but in many, most, cases the main truck has to be below the fraing. Its ok as long as its placed where you want it.

Just for the record, I'm also against allowing a plumber or duct guy to own a sawzall........ok, only because of a few idiots in the past :-)
    Take Care

Jim

Hi Jim
    I do more work with framing and drawing that than the design.And after having to go back and fix what the plumber and heating crews cut out to run their stuff,it is on my mind from the start.

Electrical,is mostly small wires.

For me,it would be nice to have tools that made it easier.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

isn't this more about how far a designer can conceivably go to accurately portray ALL of the possible information necessary to "assemble or construct" something?

Jim:

For most residential I think you are correct, but for larger projects, say apartment buildings etc then the BIM principles start to kick in and it becomes important for all the trades to know where everything is being run to avoid conflicts etc.

Archicad and Intilcadd and other software that have true BIM do deal with these issues.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Just start drawing some cad lines, you will figure it out.
    The best way to learn is by doing!
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Lew
    I agree!

Its also relative to how much the end user is paying!
    Take Care

Jim