Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does Chief X1 make your plumbing & electrical details?

I wanted to know if with chief X1 once I draw the floor plans with light fixtures and plumbing that it will automatically do the plumbing and electrical details? This would be great for me if it does!!!

Please let me know, and if it does, how do I get the plumbing and electrical details.

Warm Regards,
    Gayle
    Version Chief X1

Well.....simple answer...NO. There is no software available, that I know of, that will do "details" for you...at least I hope not

What types of details are you looking for?
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

With Chief, you can easily do an electrical "plan". Use the "electrical set" layer set, and start adding fixtures, outlets, switches, and electrical connections.

I typicaly stay away from plumbing plans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elect.jpg 
Views:	1304 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	26211  
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Will chief X1 draw the electrical drawings needed for blue prints?

Thanks,
    Gayle
    Version Chief X1

I agree, there isn't software that can "finish" the mechanical portions of a project. Most trades reroute or ignore what is drawn anyway(but that is not the answer for this query)!

This would be a godsend to an inexperienced designer, however, each person has to learn about the different facets of construction in order to complete it. In most cases, the mechanical/electrical/sprinkler contractors will do their own schematic drawing to determine their installation. There are many times where a designer desires to control what or who does anything in a particular area of a project, re: not allowing ductwork or piping to go thru an area where a dumbwaiter needs to have travel space from floor to floor.

Not doing a schematic of the plumbing, or ductwork, or connecting an electrical item with a located switch is not a crime; it depends on what the client paid for?, what they expect?, and what the designer can provide without using additional outside services, unless necessary.

If the client paid for such complete details, then that should have been included in the scope of work, and pricing included to cover such elements!
    Take Care

Jim

Hi Gayle,

If you look at the attached jpeg in my previous post, that is exactly what I have shown; electrical drawings needed for the construction of a house. Or were you asking about something a little different?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I see you are posting the same time as I.

No, Chief does not do the electrical or mechanical drawings. It can provide a modicum of typical things such as electrical outlets automatically placed in all rooms, however, it won't determine circuits, or switch locations, or a lot of other things, because it is not capable of determining those elements in a context which works for every drawing. Drawings from project to project are not the same, so Chief is limited as to what it can accurately do before it loses its ability to reference what we want as an average or normal placement.

Your questions indicate these are areas where additional learning is required, just remember, we all started learning or doing in the field each of these construction elements. That is how some of us can do schematics, whereas others cautiously limit themselves so they don't offer more than they can provide!

To this day, I don't do electrical wiring layouts, plumbing waste and vent, and very rarely ductwork and trunklines. Its many times more work to make it look pretty versus the actual in the field end result!
    Take Care

Jim

Chief can do electrical layouts, in the same sense that it can do floor plans. You must input the data as required. For electrical layouts, I place fixtures, outlets, switches, and electrical connections from switches to fixtures, but I don't show the home runs from cicuits to panel.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Allen: how do you get the thumbnails on your post in here? It would be better for people to see then the way I'm doing it on here.

Here's the electrical details I'm looking for. This is for putting on blue prints to pull the permits with:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...Electrical.jpg

Here's the plumbing details I'm looking for:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ingdetails.jpg

Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by gaylesiler; 09-24-2008 at 07:27 AM.
    Version Chief X1

Gayle, the electrical plan looks almost identical (in the level of detail) to what I posted above, so this is something that can easily be done with chief.

The plumbing perspective view diagram can be done using cad tools, but neither of them are completely atuomatic.

Does that help at all?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

It would be nice to get the 3D pluming and heat to show up in the 3D framing overview..
    That would help show what needs to be framed for..

Could be done with symbols.
    Maybe once it starts snowing and I am stuck inside and bored..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Allen & Allen: I would like to try and do this in cad, but have never use this part of Chief X1. I think this must be where the draftsman we've used in the past has been drawing this from. I will give it a try. If anyone has instructions on how to do plumbing details in cad, please let me know.
    And as always--A BIG THANK YOU! To everyone in here

Version Chief X1

Gayle, I did this in about 10 minutes using dashed cad lines. Just make sure your lines are parallel.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

We do the risers in 3D, change the layerset among the 3 riser types

Then click on the camera.

We have this as a template and then add/delete as needed for each project.

Lew
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lbuttery; 09-24-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

CAD, risers & dashes for plumbing

lbuttery:

Is there instructions on the internet anywhere or in chief talk that would teach me how to do the riser?

Allen: I would definately like to learn the dashes in CAD. Are there instructions anywhere to help me?

Thank you both!
    Version Chief X1