Hybrid View

I agree with all that mechanicals can affect framing, but isn't this more about how far a designer can conceivably go to accurately portray ALL of the possible information necessary to "assemble or construct" something?

There may be items of concern for say plumbing which can be notated in order to make sure the conflicts are apparent, but I can't imagine worrying about drawing a sloped pipe within a plumbing diagram(sorry Lew!) BUT at the same time I can imagine commenting on how long sloped runs can impact framing, and require that any cutting or drilling be controlled by the GC or at a min the owner! This then requires someone to actually think about pipe placement and how to get from point A to B without damaging items in between!

I think we all know that a sloped run can exceed the capabilites to remain within safe areas of where it crosses thru a lot of framing, but by the same token, if say the basement(future finished space) is required to have ALL piping either above the framing or is allowed below the framing ONLY in specific areas, then the framing issue is moot.

I will specify that all electrical for example HAS to be within the framing, NOT run either along the bottom of a framing member or on a runner board....I plan for this to be installed where it will not affect later work. I don't think I have to draw it for Sparky to know what is expected, just as I rarely do it for the plumber.

Now to be fair, ductwork usually requires some extra thought, but the details do not have to be extensive but in many, most, cases the main truck has to be below the fraing. Its ok as long as its placed where you want it.

Just for the record, I'm also against allowing a plumber or duct guy to own a sawzall........ok, only because of a few idiots in the past :-)
    Take Care

Jim