Conceptual Design Help

The attached images are of a room addition I am working on. The owner wanted to extend the front master bedroom and bathroom forward 7' so as to allow a bath with separate shower and tub and add a raised entry like she saw in a magazine. She wants to keep her expensive bay window which the company that made it will charge $2,000 to relocate.

She has taken one element (the raised arched entry) which she saw on a Mediterranean house that had other arched windows and plans to stick it on top of her house and then stretch the bedroom forward. However, since she also wants to bring the bath wall even with the new front she would have a bay window stuck on the left with either a blank wall or a bathroom window on the right.

I have some questions I hope some of you can help me with. A couple are technical. The remainder are regarding avoiding design malpractice

1. I have drawn the raised entry where the valleys (#1) on each side just clear the corner. The entry would be much better if it was deeper, however, this would require cricketts. Is this even possible using barrel tile without the cricketts being hideous?

2. I think it would be dubious at best to have bathroom windows (#2) opening into an entry area so I am considering recommending she remove them and just use vent fans. Any other ideas?

3. I am planning on showing her an alternative concept which includes a recessed arched window (#3) and probably another similar window on the now blank garage wall (#4).

4. As you can see in the elevation I have bumped out the front of the bedroom a foot beyond the bath wall in order to center the new arched window and create a more interesting roof. My problem is I am limited as to how far I can extend this before blocking the turning radius to the garage. This is producing a roof plane that is only 12" between the hip and the valley. This would be no problem with comp shingles, however, this house has S tiles. How narrow can this be in the real world?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 01.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	25968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floorplan 1c.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	25969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Plan 1c.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	25970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overview Plan 1c.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	25971  
    Intel i7 920 O.C. 3.35ghz
    EVGA X58 3X SLI
    MSI Geforce 260GTX 896 O.C.
    6 GB RAM; WD 300GB Velociraptor
    Vista Business 64 bit SP2
    X2

I haven't any experience with spanish tiles, so I will be of no help on question 4. But I will offer you my 2 cents worth:

1. By comparing the roof in the photo with the new rendering, it looks like the main roof pitch is going to be raised. If this is so, you can extend the covered entry by dragging the baseline of the front roof plane to be at the corners of the new extension. This would raise the overall roof height, so height restrictions may need to be considered.

2. If the windows enhance the curb appeal and have frosted privacy glass, I don't see any real problem.

Hope this helps.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

The main roof pitch is not being raised. The entry hip and the bedroom extension will California framed over the existing roof system.
    Intel i7 920 O.C. 3.35ghz
    EVGA X58 3X SLI
    MSI Geforce 260GTX 896 O.C.
    6 GB RAM; WD 300GB Velociraptor
    Vista Business 64 bit SP2
    X2