Hybrid View

2 hour masonry firewall

I remember someone asking about a detail for this type wall several months ago. Anyone still have a detail on this or where it is located?

There are quite a number of these, can you be more specific than just "masonry"?

Here is a link to a few. Just a web search on 2 Hour or Two Hour Masonry Wall turns up a lot of hits.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Almost every unit masonry wall over 4" thick will achieve a 2 hour rating. The required detailing will depend on the application (bearing or non bearing, exterior wall or separation).
    Warren Hirsch

What I have is a exterior 8" cmu wall. The cells are grouted and the truss roof meets up and the wall cap is at the same roof pitch. Fire Marshall indicated that it needed to be a certain UL listing.

Actually I thought the wall was already a 2 hour rated wall so that is why I was asking. Maybe I am missing something

Quote Originally Posted by MH Drafting
    What I have is a exterior 8" cmu wall. The cells are grouted and the truss roof meets up and the wall cap is at the same roof pitch. Fire Marshall indicated that it needed to be a certain UL listing.

Actually I thought the wall was already a 2 hour rated wall so that is why I was asking. Maybe I am missing something
    Something is missing. An 8" CMU wall is recognized by the code as having a prescriptive rating of over 4 hours. A UL rating is not required for a prescriptive wall design. I would ask for clarification.
    Warren Hirsch

Thanks for the help