Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    Ray has brought up a whole new topic - using the cloud to clip and cut. Another Datacad tool worth looking at. Draw a free form or regular closed shape and copy and paste what is enclosed anywhere. Very useful!
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Palmer
    Thanks Seth.

Schedule items that I use...(please add to the list if you use additional items):
    • revision id (i have this shown as numberical deltas or triangles on my layout) that correspond with the delta at the cloud location...so two deltas these need to be dynamically linked so if the number changes in one place (automatically or manually), the number changes in the other place automatically....reducing errors.
    • revision date...this should be editable also...the need for multiple dates is needed. perhaps a cloud revision is added for a client change. and another a couple of weeks later as a plan review change.
    • revision author....putting the initials or name of the drafter, designer, engineer, etc. who made the change....i rarely use this, but i've seen larger firms use this regularly.
    • revision description...a very brief explanation when occasion requires it...such as 'client revision', 'city', 'builder', 'client added sitting room', 'added garage bay' etc. This needs the ability to revise/add/delete.
    Most of my revision clouds are keyed to a building department plan reviewer's notes, which are usually numbered (Ref.#). I would add a column for the reviewer's reference number. I would also provide a field for related building code (IRC Ref.) section numbers that apply to the change.
    Michael Bailey
    Bailey's CAD Services
    Ferndale, CA
    707-407-7660
    bcs-office@baileyhouses.com

SOFTWARE:
    XP Pro, CA V10 - X2

HARDWARE:
    ASUS A8N-SLI 64BIT AMD DualCore
    Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR400 RAM,
    XFX GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB Dual DVI Video
    DesignJet 500 & 130nr Plotters

Great suggestions Michael.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by marty
    Ray has brought up a whole new topic - using the cloud to clip and cut. Another Datacad tool worth looking at. Draw a free form or regular closed shape and copy and paste what is enclosed anywhere. Very useful!
    Hi Gordon,

We already have that tool: Draw a closed polyline of any shape, select it, go to "Edit>edit area>edit area all floors". You can copy/paste, delete, point to point move, etc.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    I didnt realise you could do that - very useful.

The problem is the time when it would most useful is in cad details where edit area does not work.
    Edit area also allows a "stretch" function but in cad mode this is not available. To achieve stretch I have copied a detail from the cad detail into the plan, stretched using edit area then copied it back.

The manipulation of cad items is still the main weakness in Chief. As the other tools get more powerful the cad shortcomings stand out even more.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown
    We already have that tool: Draw a closed polyline of any shape, select it, go to "Edit>edit area>edit area all floors". You can copy/paste, delete, point to point move, etc.
    Hi Allen
    Ummmmmmmmmmm, I’m not too sure about that. I’m talking about, say, send a floor plan to layout, then go back to plan view and change the layer set, then draw a cloud around,, say the kitchen area,, the only parts of the drawing that are visible on screen now are those inside the cloud,, send to layout. I could then have the floor plan at ¼” scale and a cloud with the kitchen in it at say ½” scale on a sheet.

I know this can be accomplished by sending the plan to a cad detail,,, but,,, clouds of this type would be useful IMHO all over the place,,, larger scale details of sections of cross sections. I believe I saw this tool in ArchiCad,,,

Still in 10.0, back to work, Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/

A specific menu tool to draw defined "cloud" arc's, similar to Autodesk, with scale, thickness, color, etc. or the ability to convert a polyline to a variable "cloud" line. This would allow for multiple shaped revision areas.

Option to insert triangular labels and location is necessary as well, with scale and editing options available.

A specific menu tool to draw defined "cloud" arc's, similar to Autodesk, with scale, thickness, color, etc. or the ability to convert a polyline to a variable "cloud" line. This would allow for multiple shaped revision areas.

Option to insert triangular labels and location is necessary as well, with scale and editing options available.

I can't find revision clouds or break marks etc in X3 although they were there in X2.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Dusty:

If you have SSA then make sure you downloaded the Premier content

I suspect the basic content might not have them ???

mine are under CAD - CAD BLOCKS - DESIGNER BLOCKS

If you don't have SSA then you might be able to find some on the google warehouse ??? use .SKP VER 7 (or 6) files

or make one in the free version of Sketchup ???

or you could try making your own by using a cad circle and then using the break line tool to shape it and then save it in the library ???

Lew
    Last edited by lbuttery; 05-01-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

You know about the revision cloud tool, right? You just group select what you want clouded and click the button (bottom left)
    Spencer Design
    Modeling and Rendering
    Click here to send me an email

Sam:

thanks, I didn't know about that

learn something new every day

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

You can also draw any cad shape, hit the 'convert polyline' tool, and pick revision cloud to convert it to.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

You can also draw any cad shape, hit the 'convert polyline' tool, and pick revision cloud to convert it to

Allen:

learning two things in one day

I'm feeling like a "gumby" now

"my brain hurts"

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Seems like the revision cloud layer default oughta be controlled by the anno sets? I hate having clouds popping up all aover my layout cause I forgot to edit the layer they're on.