Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    All commands on the Edit toolbar should have shortcut keys, especially:
    Transform/replicate
    Block/unblock
    Sticky mode
    Make Parallel
    Maureen
    X6.current

You can use Shift + a key or Ctrl,Alt + a key.
    But not 2 letters..

Multi letters would be better.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Our design of hot keys is such that adding multiple letters at a later date is possible. It is, however, more difficult to implement because single letter hot keys are supported directly by the system while multi stroke keys require more work to get right.

The argument for 2 letter keys being more mnemonic, while true is a weak argument. For example CL means what? Center Line, Current Layer, Create Line, etc. We use Ctrl X, Ctrl V for cut and paste as a standard and they are not at all mnemonic yet most people remember them without thinking once they start using them.

Hot keys are learned and you get used to what they mean through repetition. My read on this is that if you aren't using single stroke keys, you probably won't use 2 stroke keys either.

As far as our old set of keys goes, I would love it if someone would put together a better set of hot keys and distribute it or even send it to us as a candidate for inclusion in X2 as the new standard. We would of course keep the old set around as an option for those whose fingers have already learned to walk the keyboard using the old set.

Back to my question about repeat last command. Based on the comments here, it seems like what is being asked for so far is a few specific cases where it would be faster to have more of a painter mode for certain tasks, such as make parallel/perpendicular, break, etc. Is that correct?
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    Back to my question about repeat last command. Based on the comments here, it seems like what is being asked for so far is a few specific cases where it would be faster to have more of a painter mode for certain tasks, such as make parallel/perpendicular, break, etc. Is that correct?
    Possibly. I'll try to pay more attention to what my hands and brain are doing.

By "painter mode" - can you describe more clearly what that means?
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

...I would love it if someone would put together a better set of hot keys and distribute it or even send it to us as a candidate for inclusion in X2 as the new standard....

...Based on the comments here, it seems like what is being asked for so far is a few specific cases where it would be faster to have more of a painter mode for certain tasks, such as make parallel/perpendicular, break, etc. Is that correct?
    As long as the hotkeys are completely customizable, I can't imagine that reprogramming the default hotkeys would be worth the trouble. Each of us will set up and use hotkeys differently, if we use them at all.

I think you're on the right track with the second comment. I understand that it would probably be bad business to give away too much of what may be under development, but I too would like a more clear description of how you see this working.
    Warren Hirsch

Here is a speed issue in my workflow which would be solved by some of the earlier suggestions regarding properties accessibility.

When I select something and bring up the dbx I no longer see the object as selected. Call me stupid by sometimes I need to still be able to see what I just selected.

If I had my properties (such as length for a cad line) on the surface, I could select my cad line (which is often a measuring tool) and adjust it's length numerically and see the results without closing the dbx and then reopening the dbx to tweak it again.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

For me seeking hot keys has never been speed enhancer. I like them only because I use three mice with multiple buttons that I map my favorite hot keys to. Give me Icons for speed (which you have mostly).

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly K
    For me seeking hot keys has never been speed enhancer. I like them only because I use three mice with multiple buttons that I map my favorite hot keys to. Give me Icons for speed (which you have mostly).

Kelly
    Three Mice....

Are they blind?
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

I don't use hot keys much but have seen how fast they can be.
    Only problem with being able to set them is if you plan on working with other people.
    Hot keys will not be standard.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park
    Three Mice....

Are they blind?

Nope; but occasionally they are uncooperative as you probably surmised.

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    I just finished converting 1/8" prelims to 1/4" finals. How frustrating to have to aim and click on each text block individually to change the size - because I can't find a way to group select that still lets me edit. If I catch even one arrow in a selection set, I don't get access to the properties I need to change.
    If you click on the Text Parent tool, it activates the Leader Line, which when marquee selecting, it will bring up the Object Spec. dbx, instead of text., if it selects an arrow in the group. If you activate the Text tool (not parent), it should only select Text, regardless if any arrows are present. I wonder if maybe the wrong tool was active, or maybe a bug.....When marquee selecting arrows, to make arrow head changes in the dbx, it won't combine the two types (straight line/bent polyline). They need to be done separately.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Doug,

As I think about it, I'd love to have the Sticky Mode be hotkey assignable. For some reason, moving the mouse to find a button takes me at least 5 times as long as my fingers finding a key, any key - and if it's a key I don't have to think about, we've just cut the time in half again, if not better.

The same reasoning is why I find Repeat Last so useful in astuff. I don't have to even think which key is the hot key. I did something. I want to do it again - hit the space bar. The + key would be lovely also.
    Preach it Wendy!

Every time you take your mouse off the drawing to pick a command you lose precious time. When you use both hands, one on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, there is no time lost and your production thoughts are not interupted by command/program operation thoughts. Saving hundreds to thousands of seconds per day, greatly improves production. Especially when you multiply it across multiple users in a firm.

One similar command to 'Last' is 'Previous'. It has subtle differences. Last works at the command level, where Previous works at the selection level. How many times have I multiselected numerous items, performed a command on them and then wanted to do another command on the same items only to have to reselect each item because the program drops the selection. Keeping a temporary listing of the last selection set should be very easy to implement.
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

The argument for 2 letter keys being more mnemonic, while true is a weak argument. For example CL means what? Center Line, Current Layer, Create Line, etc. We use Ctrl X, Ctrl V for cut and paste as a standard and they are not at all mnemonic yet most people remember them without thinking once they start using them.
    I agree with Doug that making hot keys mnemonic is difficult and different for everyone. At the old office we had to publish the list of hot keys relevant to our menu and even overrode default ACAD commands. It was obvious we used Copy hundreds of time more than Circle so C saved time when remapped to the Copy command. New employees caught on quickly as did temps because there was logic in the choices. Having a convenient dbx to list/review all 'local' hot-keys would be very helpful.

In support of 2 key hot-keys - they can be 'grouped' ZA-Zoom ALL, ZW-Zoom Window, ZP- Zoom Previous. Similar with other multi child commands. This will ultimately lead to something of a 'batch' command language and command line we can only hope.

Aside: As for Ctrl X, Ctrl V, they actually are mnemonic - in the language of editing - X was used to denote deletion, and the V or 'carat' ^ signified where to insert additional text.
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

Quote Originally Posted by ktkcad
    Every time you take your mouse off the drawing to pick a command you lose precious time. When you use both hands, one on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, there is no time lost and your production thoughts are not interupted by command/program operation thoughts.
    Bingo.

Exactly.

I once took a speed production class, and they wanted us to use our left hands for the mouse, so the right hand could do numbers at the same time. it took a hand injury to get me to finally switch. But, if you're talking pure time and motion, the dude was absolutely correct.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ktkcad

One similar command to 'Last' is 'Previous'. It has subtle differences. Last works at the command level, where Previous works at the selection level. How many times have I multiselected numerous items, performed a command on them and then wanted to do another command on the same items only to have to reselect each item because the program drops the selection. Keeping a temporary listing of the last selection set should be very easy to implement.
    YEAH! You've reminded me of something I wish for every single day.

My old software allowed us to Select Previous or Select Last. It's an incredible time saver - beyond what you can imagine.

Select Previous was the last thing selected. If you accidentally press "escape" and wish you had that selection set back - here you go.

Select Last selects the last thing you created. No aiming, no tabbing through things. Want that door you just inserted? Here it is. That wall? Ditto.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com