Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Jonathan,

It's funny. I now go weeks without visiting acad. But when I do, my hands get confused about pressing Enter or not. I think I prefer the Chief way - the or not - even though it means only single letter hotkeys.

The autocad thing of pressing Enter for "repeat last command" is quicker, but I'd be totally fine with the fraction-of-a-second difference for a button or hot key instead.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Warren,

I believe you are correct. The more I think about it, the more I think I would totally dig having "repeat last", but my hair is not on fire for it - many other fish need fryin' first.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I'm trying to better understand how you would use the "Repeat Last Command" in Chief. Could you give some examples of cases that this would be handy? My reason for asking is to better understand the operations that you find highly repetitive. It may be that an entirely different solution would be better, I just want to make sure that putting this in would actually solve your use cases.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    I'm trying to better understand how you would use the "Repeat Last Command" in Chief. Could you give some examples of cases that this would be handy?
    Personally, I don't see much benefit to a "repeat last" command. If you're executing a command, it doesn't take any more time to just execute the actual command than to do a "repeat command" keystroke.

Sticky commands like Copy, on the other hand, have some benefit. But I think we're already covered pretty well for this, although I think the sticky-copy function could be quicker, such as selecting an object and hitting CTRL. (I have this button mapped to my mouse thumb button.)
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    I'm trying to better understand how you would use the "Repeat Last Command" in Chief.
    Making objects parallel/perpendicular is the one area that I would find this most useful. This tool is rather unique to Chief. It's pretty darned innovative, and it would be improved, IMO, if I could select the object that I wanted to make other objects parallel to, and then click on the objects needing to be changed.
    Warren Hirsch

In my other drawing program "repeat last" is activated by pressing the "+" plus key on the numeric key pad....
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

I think he wants a sticky pin for the make parallel tool.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    I think he wants a sticky pin for the make parallel tool.
    Well, yes... but what good would that do, unless they completely change the way the tool works ?
    Warren Hirsch

I think I agree w/ Warren. Sometimes I can't keep straight the proceedure. It's opposite/different than the trim/extend tools.
    Why do I think the "make parallel" & the "trim/extend" tools should work the same? I don't know. Seems to make sense.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Doug,

As I think about it, I'd love to have the Sticky Mode be hotkey assignable. For some reason, moving the mouse to find a button takes me at least 5 times as long as my fingers finding a key, any key - and if it's a key I don't have to think about, we've just cut the time in half again, if not better.

The same reasoning is why I find Repeat Last so useful in astuff. I don't have to even think which key is the hot key. I did something. I want to do it again - hit the space bar. The + key would be lovely also.

I think the editing tools are where I would use it the most. For creating walls, doors, windows etc - the tool stays live. For copy, make parallel, fillet, etc - you have to click the tool again. The Sticky Mode works if you want to trim multiple things against the same line, fillet multiple corners of a polyline... But, if you're running around a plan trimming one thing here and another thing there, a Repeat Last would be very helpful.

The challenger for you Chief Dudes would be what gets repeated. Undo seems to be frequently confused about what exactly constitutes the last action! I would want it to be the base command, not the components. In other words, Trim, not the fence or the Sticky Mode.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Doug,

As I think about it, I'd love to have the Sticky Mode be hotkey assignable. For some reason, moving the mouse to find a button takes me at least 5 times as long as my fingers finding a key, any key - and if it's a key I don't have to think about, we've just cut the time in half again, if not better.

The same reasoning is why I find Repeat Last so useful in astuff. I don't have to even think which key is the hot key. I did something. I want to do it again - hit the space bar. The + key would be lovely also.
    Preach it Wendy!

Every time you take your mouse off the drawing to pick a command you lose precious time. When you use both hands, one on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, there is no time lost and your production thoughts are not interupted by command/program operation thoughts. Saving hundreds to thousands of seconds per day, greatly improves production. Especially when you multiply it across multiple users in a firm.

One similar command to 'Last' is 'Previous'. It has subtle differences. Last works at the command level, where Previous works at the selection level. How many times have I multiselected numerous items, performed a command on them and then wanted to do another command on the same items only to have to reselect each item because the program drops the selection. Keeping a temporary listing of the last selection set should be very easy to implement.
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

Quote Originally Posted by ktkcad
    Every time you take your mouse off the drawing to pick a command you lose precious time. When you use both hands, one on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, there is no time lost and your production thoughts are not interupted by command/program operation thoughts.
    Bingo.

Exactly.

I once took a speed production class, and they wanted us to use our left hands for the mouse, so the right hand could do numbers at the same time. it took a hand injury to get me to finally switch. But, if you're talking pure time and motion, the dude was absolutely correct.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    I once took a speed production class, and they wanted us to use our left hands for the mouse, so the right hand could do numbers at the same time. it took a hand injury to get me to finally switch. But, if you're talking pure time and motion, the dude was absolutely correct.
    Interesting Wendy,

I was teaching that to architects 20 years ago. Mouse is controlled by major motor movements of the wrist, arm and elbow. Keyboard is finer motor movements of the fingers and wrists. And 'lefties' should reverse it and put the mouse in their right hand.

"If only" I had copywrited that technique....
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

Quote Originally Posted by ktkcad

One similar command to 'Last' is 'Previous'. It has subtle differences. Last works at the command level, where Previous works at the selection level. How many times have I multiselected numerous items, performed a command on them and then wanted to do another command on the same items only to have to reselect each item because the program drops the selection. Keeping a temporary listing of the last selection set should be very easy to implement.
    YEAH! You've reminded me of something I wish for every single day.

My old software allowed us to Select Previous or Select Last. It's an incredible time saver - beyond what you can imagine.

Select Previous was the last thing selected. If you accidentally press "escape" and wish you had that selection set back - here you go.

Select Last selects the last thing you created. No aiming, no tabbing through things. Want that door you just inserted? Here it is. That wall? Ditto.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Break line tool
    Delete,so you just click on what you want deleted rather than the 2 clicks.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4