Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park
    Another choice might be to use the layer painter. Pick a layer that's hidden and click on the wall.

Aha! That would actually work right now and be almost not annoying!
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WHirsch
    A hot key can be set up for "front of group" now.
    It can? What did I miss? Where? I need that!

Ability to set a drawing order for entire layers would save a ton of time.
    Yes Yes Yes - Simple, elegant, effective.

I'd much rather see development of some kind of properties palette that can remain open always ...
    Yes - there've been many variations on this request. I second it - again.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ebdesign
    I think we're talking the same thing here.
    I wanna see ALL the properties, not just the layer: & I just want to see them to confirm correct layer, defaults, material, etc; not get into the dbx unless I want to change something.
    Underlining mine. I bumped it to make sure that point is clear.

I never would have thought to ask for that, but I agree 100%.

It would save time and catch mistakes - a home run.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    It can? What did I miss? Where? I need that!
    Wendy, go to the customize hotkeys dbx. Look for "Edit Toolbar- Move To Front of Group"
    Warren Hirsch

What others are saying regarding the properties of objects. I would like to see a customizable status bar where the status elements are editable. Even if it is not customizable but just editable. this is my highest priority.

Second on the list. My last command. Give me the ability to make a hot key to recall my last command.

Third, everything hot keyable.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira
    ...My last command. Give me the ability to make a hot key to recall my last command.
    Yes Yes Yes please.

Acrap has that and it's a real speed feature.

Yeah, that would be best. If we can do it, do it hot.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I would also still like to recommend that chief have a macro/script language like VBA

Then we could setup some real power features

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I'll cast my vote for a properties palette. That would be a big time-saver for me. I'm constantly opening an object's dbx or using the rainbow tool to figure out what something is made of or what layer it lives on.

Hitting the spacebar or similar hot key to repeat a command would be great as well.

Thanks!

Chris
    version X3

Chris Allen
    architect
    *some assembly required
    Austin, TX USA
    www.somearchitect.com

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    3 - Marquee Select - Intersection vs. Contained - I wish I could put on a hot key

Yes I would wish for the same, with the addition of the elimination of the edit tool bar as an option, in essence if I wish to erase something, or edit in a particular manner, I could lock in the feature globally and keep it until a right click.

Better access to Marquee Select is high on my list, but even higher would be programmable hot key icons similar to library browser keys in that they have assignable features. This would require an icon character editor/creator for those instances which hot keys don't have characters assigned. I suppose that what I'm proposing is similar to a macro language. All I know is that I would really like to get my cursor on a transform/replicate-reflect-horizontal one click icon, or some combination thereof.

Unfortunately, what I propose would have to override some of the current hierarchy of how some things are done and may not be possible. However, dreams never become reality if kept to themselves.

Kelly
    Last edited by Kelly K; 07-09-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Second on the list. My last command. Give me the ability to make a hot key to recall my last command.

I'll second this. Funny...today I was just thinking "I wish there was something
    to where I could recall the last command..."

I come from AutoCAD where it's all "command prompt". It's really nice when
    you get use to it.

I feel the everything hotkey-able or possibly even trying to go "command
    prompt" would (in my opinion) make it A LOT easier to draw. With command
    prompt you could set multiple letters (i.e. "EW" for exterior wall) for the
    commands. I don't know if it's possible to have more than one letter for
    hotkeys.

The downfall however, would be some SERIOUS re-programming.
    Jonathan

Jonathan,

It's funny. I now go weeks without visiting acad. But when I do, my hands get confused about pressing Enter or not. I think I prefer the Chief way - the or not - even though it means only single letter hotkeys.

The autocad thing of pressing Enter for "repeat last command" is quicker, but I'd be totally fine with the fraction-of-a-second difference for a button or hot key instead.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by somearchitect
    Hitting the spacebar or similar hot key to repeat a command would be great as well.
    I'd like that, but depending upon how much time and effort would be diverted from other development, I'm not sure that this is something that I'd request as a priority. Drawing tool commands are already sticky. Editing tools, otoh, are not activated until a selection is made. A fundamental change in the way the program works would be required to make, for example, the point to point move tool active pending a selection.
    Warren Hirsch

Warren,

I believe you are correct. The more I think about it, the more I think I would totally dig having "repeat last", but my hair is not on fire for it - many other fish need fryin' first.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I'd much rather see development of some kind of properties palette that can remain open always (perhaps it could be included in the project browser) than a pop up for properties. I can already see what layer an object is on by glancing at the status bar, and there's a default hot key to open the properties dbx, but I don't want to have to take any additional steps at all to see, or edit, all properties of a selection.
    This one ties in nicely with the ability to be able to select an objects properties (color, layer, width, type) BEFORE drawing it, instead of having to editing it after drawing it.

My suggestion is to have 4 drop down boxes (1 for each property).
    When you select an object, the objects properties are displayed in the drop down boxes.
    You also set the drop down boxes before drawing ne objects.
    Similar to many cad programs.
    This alows you to draw entities whose properties are not layer depentant - same as editing an objects properties after it is drawn.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I'm trying to better understand how you would use the "Repeat Last Command" in Chief. Could you give some examples of cases that this would be handy? My reason for asking is to better understand the operations that you find highly repetitive. It may be that an entirely different solution would be better, I just want to make sure that putting this in would actually solve your use cases.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.