Threaded View

Our design of hot keys is such that adding multiple letters at a later date is possible. It is, however, more difficult to implement because single letter hot keys are supported directly by the system while multi stroke keys require more work to get right.

The argument for 2 letter keys being more mnemonic, while true is a weak argument. For example CL means what? Center Line, Current Layer, Create Line, etc. We use Ctrl X, Ctrl V for cut and paste as a standard and they are not at all mnemonic yet most people remember them without thinking once they start using them.

Hot keys are learned and you get used to what they mean through repetition. My read on this is that if you aren't using single stroke keys, you probably won't use 2 stroke keys either.

As far as our old set of keys goes, I would love it if someone would put together a better set of hot keys and distribute it or even send it to us as a candidate for inclusion in X2 as the new standard. We would of course keep the old set around as an option for those whose fingers have already learned to walk the keyboard using the old set.

Back to my question about repeat last command. Based on the comments here, it seems like what is being asked for so far is a few specific cases where it would be faster to have more of a painter mode for certain tasks, such as make parallel/perpendicular, break, etc. Is that correct?
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.