Hybrid View

Allen,

The way Chief implements hotkeys and shortcuts is very cumbersome (and that's being generous!!).

Lets see now...the shortcut for Floor Defaults is Ctrl+Shift+Y (Oh...i see how logical that isn't!).
    All 3 keys have to be pressed at once!
    That means at least 2 hands - 3 would be nice!

What I am suggesting is a system that uses 2 letter shortcuts.
    eg, Floor Defaults could be FD (logical). This means you hit the F key and then the D key (not both at once and no Enter - I believe autocrap uses an enter after the 2 letters...and they only introduced the 2 letter commands after they purchased and scuttled Generic Cad). Thats it, so simple!

I know I can use single keys for shortcuts in Chief, but you soon run out of keys and they very quickly becom illogical.
    And yes, I know I can make a printable list of shortcuts in Chief, but by the time I look up the shortcut and execute it, it's faster to use the menu!
    And trying press 2 keys or, heaven forbid, 3 keys at once is almost impossible.

The 2 letter shortcuts don't really need printing out - they are so easy to remember!
    What do you imagine a shortcut for Snap Object would be...SO - so simple!!!
    Snap Midpoint...SM
    Offset...OF
    Current Layer...CL, etc, etc.

If you are really interested on seeing how easy and fast this is for youself, I suggest you download a copy of Visual Cad (I think General Cad works the same) and havw a play without even looking at the manual. just try guessing the 2 letter shortcuts and see how you go.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD