Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Settings that need faster access

What settings or properties does everybody change frequently enough that you wish it had a hot-key, user control of default, etc?

Brevity is a good thing.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

1 - Text & arrows - I often need to change to "Front Group" - wish I could set as default.

2 - The arrow in particular - I often need to put in front of the text, so the solid fill of text doesn't hide part of the arrow when it comes from the end of a paragraph. My wish is that arrow could be not only "Front Group", but also "Front of Group"

3 - Marquee Select - Intersection vs. Contained - I wish I could put on a hot key
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Flipping walls to invisible for camera shots

I would like a toggle that when on each wall clicked would become invisible and when off each wall clicked becomes visible again

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Hmmm, so much to choose from.
    First thing to come to mind this morning........I would like to see the dbx for any CAD or 3D object show up when the cursor remains over that item (in any view). Click on the item, the dbx remains open & you can edit any/all properties of that item.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Lew,

Nice idea. How high up your list would something like that be?

Jim,

So - you want to see the dbx without double clicking - kind of like an informational pop up? You're looking to quickly see what it's properties are?
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

You're looking to quickly see what it's properties are?
    Wendy,
    You got it. A lot of times I just wanna see the properties (like the layer) of an object, & don't need to do anything else.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Wendy:

Fairly high ....

It's something I do all the time and it requires lots of click to make invisibile and the lots of clicks to make visible.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew,
    I assume you know that you can select (double-click) the wall in any camera view, select "invisible" & close. 3 clicks.
    Just makin' sure you were aware of that.........ya never know.

Making the wall "visible" again would need to be done in plan, but 3 more clicks.
    If we had "my" pop-up properties dbx............. still 3 clicks.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Jim:

That's what I do now and I'd prefer to have the toggle

Then it's only one click per wall

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew,

If you have views that you commonly use or want to quickly change a set of walls to invisible, you could put them on different layersets then switch to that layerset.

Of course this only works if you do this often and the walls are always the same walls.

One might put all southern walls on one layer, all eastern on another, etc. then have 4 layersets where the walls on that side were off.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Another choice might be to use the layer painter. Pick a layer that's hidden and click on the wall.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Ability to set a drawing order for entire layers would save a ton of time. If we could set text layers in front, for example, a lot of steps would be eliminated. A hot key can be set up for "front of group" now. It would be nice to have the same options for the other drawing order commands.

I'd much rather see development of some kind of properties palette that can remain open always (perhaps it could be included in the project browser) than a pop up for properties. I can already see what layer an object is on by glancing at the status bar, and there's a default hot key to open the properties dbx, but I don't want to have to take any additional steps at all to see, or edit, all properties of a selection.

Having a quick way to change marquee selection behavior would be nice too, but not my highest priority.
    Warren Hirsch

Quote Originally Posted by WHirsch
    I'd much rather see development of some kind of properties palette that can remain open always (perhaps it could be included in the project browser) than a pop up for properties. I can already see what layer an object is on by glancing at the status bar, and there's a default hot key to open the properties dbx, but I don't want to have to take any additional steps at all to see, or edit, all properties of a selection.
    I think this is my highest priority in a nutshell. Having to open, then TAB, through a DBX (the text DBX immediately springs to mind as the worst offender for me) to get to the layer setting, for example, is maddening.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

I think we're talking the same thing here.
    I wanna see ALL the properties, not just the layer: & I just want to see them to confirm correct layer, defaults, material, etc; not get into the dbx unless I want to change something.

If a "properties pallette" stayed open all the time (similar to how the library/project browser does), how would it display properties of individual items when needed? Just select the item, & the pallete changes? That would be great.

Here's another suggestion:
    Figure out a way to keep the Layer Display Options dbx open all the time. Maybe this is tied to the properties pallette/open item dbx somehow.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Dan:

It's not always the same walls, it varies from project to project.

Having the toggle would be the easiest way to do this dynamically

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051