Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

n8vn is offline Registered User Promoted

The Answer

For anyone else who comes across this- The issue is that the "EDIT OBJECT PARTS" is selected and needs to be unselected. This is found in the EDIT munu under "EDIT BEHAVIORS". In previous versions this was called "POLYLINE EDIT". When this is selected polylines and terrain splines are drawn as standard cad lines and have no elevation data. Once the button is deselected everything should work fine again.

Steve,
    Here's your plan back w/ the lot & terrain built. I centered the house left/right in the building envelope & put the front wall of garage on the front setback.
    I orientated the north arrow to get your lot lines to display correctly. I entered lat/long for Fairfield, Tennessee (?) & the sun angle & shadows you see are set for 10am EDT tomorrow morning.
    Chief's contour lines match the elevation lines from your dwg; except by the road. Chief does roads to drastically, if you ask me. you can slide the road off to the left (completely off the terrain perimeter), & move the terrain feature that I made for a road to see a less drastic representation of the street.
    The white line you see in a render camera is the property line.
    Do a final render w/ shadows: That should be the shadows at 10am tomorrow.
    HTH
    Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Impressive

First of all, thanks for so much effort. Secondly, a couple of notes. Although the surveyor didn't note it (I didn't notice that he didn't notice until I saw your post) the road is actually sitting at a higher elevation. It's maybe 3-4 ft. higher necessitating the use of a culvert for the driveway. Second, I have questions. If I don't ask them I'll get lazy and just post all my work on here letting everyone else here do it for me. How did you get the property line to show up as white? How do you rotate the north arrow with any exactness? I've since "finished" the actual "house" portion of the plan. Is there a way to add it to your corrections or take only the terrain portion out of your corrections and add it to my current "house only" plan?

I can't wait until I learn this program. I know I'm only scratching the surface and still am pleased with the results.

Thanks again.
    Steve Lane
    Crossville, TN
    General Contractor and Omniscient, Omnipresent Commentator (with award to prove it)
    Chief x1.5 since 2007, now x2 since losing my USB key
    www.stevelanebuilder.com (when finished)
    steven_p_lane@yahoo.com

Steve:

Concerning the North arrow, I found that you need to delete all North arrows and go back to the default North arrow which points up the screen.

Then place a North arrow in the same orientation then open the dbx for that North arrow and you can position it as needed.

I have some recent threads about this and some other plot plan orientation issues

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Steve,
    You're welcome. "all that effort" was about 30-40 minutes at most.
    The property line is a terrain feature.
    There was a north pointer on your dwg & I made the assumption that house would be parallel to front property line. All I had to do was rotate the whole dwg until the front property line was 0 degrees; then copied the angle of the north pointer in the dwg. I drew a Chief north pointer at the aproximate angle & then pasted the dwg north pointer angle to get it exact for Chief's north pointer.
    If you fill the screen in plan view, you'll see several copies of the imported dwg. the original import which had to be resized 12x's to get it to real world scale (because feet (') wasn't selected when imported). I then blocked the dwg, rotated & positioned it over house. Then made a copy of block 500' to left. Then moved the original block 500' down. I exploded that block, & copy/pasted individual items up to house w/ terrain & made 3D stuff out of them. For the property line, I started w/ the property line, used snaps to make it a polyline, concentrically copied 4", added a couple lines to get it to close, & then made it a 2" high terrain feature. It is the same as out-of-bounds on a basketball court. If you're on the line, you're off the property.
    I like doin' this kind of stuff & it was pretty simple to take all the way to show you (& anybody else) how it's done. Or,.........at least, how I do it.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Explanation

I appreciate the explanation as much as anything. I'm probably only a couple of weeks away from buying the video series (first set) so I can get proficient on the fundamentals of chief. I feel I've done pretty well so far considering how little time I actually have invested in playing with it. I'm at a point now though that the level of detail and quality I really desire cannot be achieved without some sort of training or a huge time investment by continuing to experiment. The videos seem ideal due to the relative unpredictability of my schedule. I also find that I tend to sit down and work on plans when the mood suits me rather than doing it during a dedicated time.
    Steve Lane
    Crossville, TN
    General Contractor and Omniscient, Omnipresent Commentator (with award to prove it)
    Chief x1.5 since 2007, now x2 since losing my USB key
    www.stevelanebuilder.com (when finished)
    steven_p_lane@yahoo.com