Glass Block Windows

I am attempting to insert glass block windows in a plan. In the instructional videos glass block windows are only used for a partition wall not as a window material.

I went into the library and found glass block under masonry block and inserted in into my window library but it will not allow me to insert either into a blank wall or as a replacement for an existing window unit. Mayby I haven't got it set up in the library correctly?

Any suggestions. I'm only a beginner in Chief Architect and have enough trouble keeping track of the plans vs. the archives vs. back ups in multiple form. It's frustrating to not be able to do something as simple as install a glass block window for security in a commercial building.

Help!

Glass block is a texture. You assign it to glass in a window. If you want a glass block wall, try using a single layer wall and assign the glass block to it.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

The glass block you copied to the windows library is a material and not an object. In the attached pic the window on the right is a fixed glass window and on the materials tab i changed the glass to the glass block. The problem with this method is I don't see a way to change the thickness of the glass. The one on the left is doorway with the sill pulled up and casing suppressed. Then I used a polyline solid with the glass block material. I think this way you may be able to achieve a more realistic result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asdasd.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	24547  
    Chuck Garton

The polyline solid with the glass block texture is one of the best ways to go. there is one minor problem though , the glass block material is just a texture with some transparency added, and this means the "grout" has the same transparency as the "glass". For a more realistic approach I would recommend filing your polyline solid with holes, and filling these holes with polyline solids of the same size, not so difficult once you master multiple copy.
    see my replies in this post

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=18152
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Or, you could just model every block.

Name:	Glass Block.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	24554  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Use a slab door pulled up and change the thickness of the door apply glass block material.

glas block

I do it the sme way louis does

Hi Bryce

Can you show me how to build a model block? I like yours, is it a ray trace? Thank you for your help.

Arielle

Arielle,

I'm sure that what Brice does is simply create a solid block of the correct size and apply the Glass Block Texture to it.

That can then be converted to a Symbol (or not) depending if you want to have it available for future use.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Here's one I just made. It's 6" wide, 8" tall & 4" deep but you can stretch it in any direction and the texture will stretch as well. I made the sides a solid "Color-Dover" but that can be changed if you like.

Name:	Glass Block.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	59588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Block.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	59589  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-12-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium