Thread: Remodel Help

Abe is offline Registered User Promoted

Remodel Help

Hello:
    What is the best way to do a remodel on chief. I will be keeping some existing walls, removing some, building new walls. In auto-cad I just xref the existing walls and drawing new ones. I have not done a remodel using chief.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Abe:

create the existing model, make a cad block of the walls, doors, windows (maybe more ?) by turning all other layers off, save that cad block to a layer set color to red or gray or ...

create remodel plan and turn on exiting cad block layer when needed.

Or create existing model, then clone and create remodel plan.

Try some searches on asbuilt and as-built and remodel, etc.
    Many prior threads on this topic with nice display tricks/tips

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    Or create existing model, then clone and create remodel plan.
    That's what I do. I create an as-built model. THen copy that plan to create the model(s) of the addition/remodel optioins.

My as-built walls are all new walltypes - no fill in them in plan view..and for the 3D - they're just colors rather than siding/brick or whatever, so in elevation they show up plain while the new walls are solid filled in plan view and have textures assigned to the surfaces....

When I have a design that is agreed on - I then change the as-built wall materials so that it renders nicely.

I do similar with roofs too.

I'm trying a new method where I am creating the remodel version first so that we can get design approval from the clients faster.

Once the remodel is approved and the model is ready for permit I plan to clone it and then create the as-built by stripping out all the changes.

In the past we had to wait until we were "confident" that the as-built was "correct" before cloning for the remodel and invariably we would clone too soon and then have to make changes to both the as-built and remodel versions. In the meantime, the clients want to see how the remodel is going to look.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

videos

I was captivated by the remodel seminar I attended at last years user group meeting. Not sure how to really practice it when I got home. I was thrilled when I saw it was available on the X1 videos. Bought it, studied it, and with the help of the great people on this site am putting it to great use.

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    I'm trying a new method where I am creating the remodel version first so that we can get design approval from the clients faster.
    Once the remodel is approved and the model is ready for permit I plan to clone it and then create the as-built by stripping out all the changes.
    In the past we had to wait until we were "confident" that the as-built was "correct" before cloning for the remodel and invariably we would clone too soon and then have to make changes to both the as-built and remodel versions. In the meantime, the clients want to see how the remodel is going to look.
    Lew
    I do that when I have an addition that's maybe a one room...But for the most part, my remodels/additions are larger and more involved than the as-built....For me the asbuilt might take 1 1/2-2 hours (including measuring the existing, and creating the model in Chief).

For me the asbuilt might take 1 1/2-2 hours (including measuring the existing, and creating the model in Chief).

either my as-builts are more complex or I am incredibly slow ???

I just spent 3 hours measuring the basement and floor 2, no need to do floor1 except as shell and a few outside measurements just to get house shell. I missed a few and will need to go back again.

Then 2- 3 hours to create the shell and get floor 2 and 0 modeled (minimal 3D modeing) so that the internal and external dims match as measured ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051